• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1856 $3 Gold Coin ??

5 posts in this topic

So my mom's cousin is an insane hoarder (like she has three 5x10 storage units filled to the brim). Although she takes really good care of what she hoards. anyway so going through the units and cleaning them out. I found an a large amount of coins and posessions belonging to my great great grandparents. in one of them was this coin in a special leather holder. This coin had been in storage since the early 1970's, so whats the grade? it had a very thin band of silver around it so that it could be worn as a necklace. the silver wasn't welded at all to the gold, it was just like a ring you might find on a 50 gallon barrel. so any ideas what its grade is? you should see some of the other things ive found in her storages. some really old antiqque engravings by famous western artists, and more.

150632.jpg.4fc42d250bf3fb1a1c3628c6c7d3e62d.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

The coin looks to have XF details, but also looks cleaned. I don't think it would receive a problem-free grade and it's probably not a good candidate for grading.

I agree with Mark's assessment. The coin has been harshly cleaned and there does seem to be some minor rim damage. The fact that there is no solder is a big plus. This coin will bring a decent premium over gold melt which is more than I could say for ones that have solder on them.