• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike Barber Quarter

34 posts in this topic

When I started this Prooflike set, there were a few series that seemed like they would be impossible to acquire. After watching the auctions for a couple of years, my fears were only re-affirmed. The Barber series (especially the half and the quarter) were high on that daunting list: there were a few graded in each series, but I never saw them. I saw the dimes occassionally, but usually only in lower grades (still haven't found one of those I liked.) However, I was able to snag the half dollar last year - and now I've finally found a quarter. She arrived yesterday, an she is gorgeous. There is an amazing strike, and the mirrors are deep and bright. The coin looks like it was probably dipped (it is very white), but overall it is gorgeous.

Guess the grade if you want to!

IMG_9758copy_zps5c2a0896.jpg

IMG_9769copy_zpsd2a15a84.jpg

Lovely coin.

I have a number of ANACS PLs, but I am afraid to cross them to NGC, now that they will no longer accept ANACS coins for crossover. For me, the issue is that NGC will not allow ANACS coins in their Registry sets.

In order to not duplicate MarkFeld's grade on this Barber Quarter, my guess NGC 63PL.

I say MS64 PL as well – looking at it I would give it MS 65 PL however I think the cost for a coin like that might be a little more then what you would want to spend. Fantastic coin .

My guess was MS64PL as well, but I don't see why it could not be a MS65PL.

Final answer: You bought a MS65PL coin for a MS64PL price.

Nice photo btw.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Seems like everyone is in a pretty tight band - and you are right. NGC called it 64PL, I think it might get a 64+, but I'm not sure it would ever get 65.

Studying this coin, it is very interesting. There is a lot of die polish covering it - but there are also a myriad of fine die cracks on both sides of this coin.

Roger - how can I tell if the mintmark is inverted? I know there are some varieties like this, but I'm not familiar enough with the mintmark styles to tell.

Well I am the first to suggest 65PL, I don't see how it could go below that (without of course, seeing it in hand). Incredible whatever the grade might be.

Best, HT

I wonder how many grade guessers looked up this coin in physics-fan3.14 Registry. Otherwise, we sure have a lot of real pro graders responding to this thread.

What is your point? Crappy scan = crappy guesses

Poe gave members great pics to guess from and let us know it was PL which also helps judge the photo.

The crowd here is usually very close on GTG topics with good pics. ATS is shotty because so many uneducated members guess the few with the ability are drowned out

Hey guys, I am only trying to instill more interest in this thread. I simply am not able to do the camera shoots, so I am stuck with scans.

What is your point? Crappy scan = crappy guesses

Poe gave members great pics to guess from and let us know it was PL which also helps judge the photo.

The crowd here is usually very close on GTG topics with good pics. ATS is shotty because so many uneducated members guess the few with the ability are drowned out

Someone else posted a Barber with a PL or better designation and my comments were based on that coin and not Jason's coin. To eliminate any potential confusion, I have deleted my other post.

Let's see how you folks grade this Barber Quarter, in an old ANACS holder. My pictures are scans, not camera shots.

1897QuarterA64DMPLobv.jpg1897QuarterA64DMPLrev.jpg

Based on the image, it looks like a 65 to me.

I wonder how many grade guessers looked up this coin in physics-fan3.14 Registry. Otherwise, we sure have a lot of real pro graders responding to this thread.

Even a busted clock shows the correct time twice a day. :/

Edited to add MS66 since the scan shows no luster, however it is probably very lustrous.

Hey guys, I am only trying to instill more interest in this thread.....

I must confess, based on a previous post of yours in this thread, (in which you wrote "I wonder how many grade guessers looked up this coin in physics-fan3.14 Registry. Otherwise, we sure have a lot of real pro graders responding to this thread") I didn't think that was what you were trying to do.

Re: Mozin's coin:

The scan hides whatever luster might be on the coin. The devices are really clean. It's hard to judge the fields, but I'm going to guess an MS65. My first impression from the scans was a 64, but after looking at the images more closely, I added a point.

It looks like a really nice coin. It would be nice to see it in hand.