• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another re-Imaged Bustie with Edge Pics (1831)

8 posts in this topic

Very nice '31 Dave! Is this the first year they tried reeded edges?

Not 100% certain, but I think they started part way though the year...

Very nice '31 Dave! Is this the first year they tried reeded edges?

Not 100% certain, but I think they started part way though the year...

Interesting. Am I to understand that sometime during the mintage of 1831 CBH's the castaing bar dies had reeding between the lettering? Did the use of the reeded castaing dies continue through 1836?

Was this just experimentation as what took place in the 1809 XX, III mintages?

I see the vertical marks between some of the lettering on your edge photos but was not aware that the marks were deliberate reeding impressed from the castaing dies.

Carl

You certainly have pointed out one way a camera shot is better than a scan. I see no way to scan the edge, while the coin is in the holder.

Nice job!

You certainly have pointed out one way a camera shot is better than a scan. I see no way to scan the edge, while the coin is in the holder.

Nice job!

Agree on the pics, and I would bet that most CBH collectors don't appreciate the fact that CBH's have 3 "sides". I know to reference the Leaman/Gunnet sequences but I cannot find any references to reeding between the edge lettering. Any help?

Carl

Was not thinking completely about this, but my '31 O-103 does not have the lines, and neither does my '30 O-108 (minted next after the '31 O-103), but my 31 104, 31 111, and the coin above minted second half of the year all have the lines.

According to the Leaman-Gunnet sequence, after the '30 O-108, they go in this order:

1831 O-118

1831 O-119

1831 O-120

1830 O-109

1831 O-107

1831 O-106

1831 O-105

1829 O-120

then my 1831 O-104 which has the lines. So it begins somewhere in the group above, but I do not have any of those, so someone else would need to be able to check, hopefully either an unslabbed example or one in an edge view of some sort...

The lines have nothing in common with what is found on the 1809's, as it is likely that the 1809 IIII and XXXX edges were repairs and nothing more.