• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 1860-O Seated dollar pickup for me

18 posts in this topic

Good luck with the grading services, maybe I am a little cynical, but when the front and reverse toning do not match that is sometimes not a good sign. Otherwise it looks high end with little wear. But you gotta wonder why it isn't in a slab?

No comment on the toning.

As to it being raw, a lot of the BU 1859-O and 1860-O dollars from the Treasury Hoard ended up in nicer type sets, the kind that got stored in large Capital Plastics boards or Whitmen Bookshelf albums and never saw the blessings of being slabbed.

TD

I'll say 64. The images look like TrueView from PCGS. From my experience, TrueView often sees a lot of color that isn't as noticable in hand. Would you say the color is accurately portrayed in the photos? Or is it a little more subtle?

MS64. Are the pics of the raw coin? You said you purchased raw, is coin now slabbed? Difficult to see how such a high valued coin would remain raw. I like the toning.

Carl

Thanks everyone for your input. James was probably the closest guess as

my guess would be somewhere around AU55-58.

The coin has some really great pl qualities, especially on the reverse.....such a beautiful coin. The toning is a nice soft reddish and yellow color.

I never went to this particular coin shop before but I must admit it has become my all time favorite hands down. Super nice people, incredible collection of just about anything and they have been around forever. I don't want to divulge just yet as I have much more shopping I want to do:)

The coin is completely original and the shop owner actually took the image along with all the other coins I purchased for me, which was unbelievably nice of him. His set up is very professional and he uses just the overhead fluorescent lighting. Very quick image and no manipulating the coin either. I in turn cropped the coins and inserted them into a plain background.

I have to say it was one of the very best coin shop visits I ever had.

I even was lucky enough to purchase a few other raw coins from him which I will post later and one graded 1843 XF40 Seated Half dollar

Here are a few of the other coins. I purchased some Toned Peace dollars also.

1843SeatedHalfdollarPCGSVF45_zps65d20d35.jpg

raw. 1887 Queen Victoria Crown....my guess MS64

1887QueenVictoriaCrowncopy_zpsd87fb045.jpg

Here are the two raw Peace dollars.

This is really super lustrous in hand and neat toning....almost looks like movement

My stab at grade would be a MS64, which a chance at 65

1922Peacedollarraw_zps0e3c3110.jpg

This one also has tons of luster and really nice toning....guessing MS64

1926-SPeacedollarraw_zpse33e1656.jpg

Some sweet looking coins!

x2

That Vicki ... I recently saw a coin that had somewhat similar toning. Let me see if I can rememebr where .... hm

Very nice picks all.

"The coin is completely original ..."

I think the Seated Dollar looks nice, as do the other coins. However, it is usually folly to make such statements about coins. How can you know it's "completely original"? You can't.

"The coin is completely original ..."

I think the Seated Dollar looks nice, as do the other coins. However, it is usually folly to make such statements about coins. How can you know it's "completely original"? You can't.

j

Thanks Mark,. I didn't mean it so literal but it is as original as I think it can be in the sense

that its nice looking :)

I've seen only two bags: 1859-O and 1860-O. Most of the coins were bag marked MS60-62 - largely from being lugged around and counted and repackaged many times. All of the coins were bright with a thin film of dust/lint/dirt from packaging. Once washed in plain water and alcohol, they were almost a nice in color as the typical Morgan dollar from a fresh bag.

I did not see a toned or tarnished coin in the two bags, but I was mostly an observer.

I took the liberty of using some coin facts images from PCGS to

compare and suggest what the actual toning looks like and its very close to the 2

in this post.

The toning is a combination of these two coins.

I also think it was stored in some type of album.

18449159_1540256_large.jpg

This one is much higher grade but shows a pl quality with the reddish toning.

25534738_26428964_large.jpg