• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After last batch came back I now have 7 of 16 possible sets complete

5 posts in this topic

I know Newfoundland is a niche section of world coins. I blame the whole thing on my Grandfather giving me a handful of Newfoundland coins back when I was around 8 years old. At the last Baltimore coin show I had a dealer say to me "The only thing rarer than a Newfoundland coin.... is a Newfoundland coin collector" For over 40 years I've been collecting these no mans coins. In the past 10 years I have been sending them into NGC little by little.

Now after this last batch came back from NGC I now have the following registry sets complete along with descriptions and HOLY BAJEEZUS pictures too. (I never understood a registry set with no pictures)

Newfoundland 1904-1909 Cents - 100%

Newfoundland 1913-1936 Cents - 100%

Newfoundland 1938-1947 Five Cents - 100%

Newfoundland 1865-1896 Ten Cents - 100%

Newfoundland 1938-1947 Ten Cents - 100%

Newfoundland 1870-1900 Fifty Cents - 100%

Newfoundland 1911-1919 Fifty Cents - 100%

I hope to complete every set in the next few years. I have to wonder how many complete Newfoundland sets even exist. Would I get some kind of atta boy from NGC being the first ever complete the sets? I have only heard about 2 known complete sets and that is second hand rumor. I have never seen a truly documented complete set.

Yippee for me. :)

Jim

Grats, that's quite an achievement. I've owned 1 Newfoundland coin in my collecting career, a large cent. You are a rare bird indeed. A hardy thumbs up to you.

Grats, that's quite an achievement. I've owned 1 Newfoundland coin in my collecting career, a large cent. You are a rare bird indeed. A hardy thumbs up to you.

:) Thanks! And you are like most dealers. At the shows I usually walk from table to table asking for Newfoundland and the response "OH Yes! I think I have ONE, hold on while I look for it." lol! It's a really tough set to work on because there is just so few coins to choose from when building the set. There are some coins in my set that literally have taken me years just to find ONE coin actually worth sending in to get slabbed.

I just recently read an article from a Canadian club where during their meet at one of the Torex shows THREE collectors got together to put together all their coins to make a complete date set. If we are talking RAW coins I am only missing 3 coins to complete the date set totally. Now slabbed coins that is a different story. Some of the raw coins I have just are not worthy of sending in. I do hope to get there at some point and yes I know it's a rare or odd set to attempt. I do it because of my heritage, my grandfather was a Newfy. I also have to say it sure does keep it interesting because there is that constant search for coins. It's not like you can just go to a dealer or show and pick up what you need. The inventory is just not available so the search continues.

Have a great day

Jim