• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One honkin' BIG coin - Post yours! Warning-Queen mother alert!

17 posts in this topic

No doubt the BIGGEST coin I own - the 2002 Australian Kookaburra 10 oz. It's a whopper - spans the palm of my hand at 7.5 cm diameter! It's also a whopping 7 mm thick!

682389-AussieKookaburra10ozrev.JPG

The theme of the coin is excellent - the evolution of time, which is, naturally, the evolution of our conception of time passage and also time as a component of the fabric of space-time. It's the first of three so far - the next two are the evolution of the alphabet and then the evolution of numbers. The only thing they did in the last case was leave off the number e, which is like leaving off the calculus.

Anyhow, I quite like this coin's design, although I'm not taken with the proof manufacture and the stangely patinaed recesses on the surface. The patina is uneven and has spots of silver that show through. I think this was a recognized problem, as the next two do not have this and are brilliant proofs.

Post your BIGGEST coin!

Hoot

682389-AussieKookaburra10ozrev.JPG.4e3e4b1bee15f9f71e3b3aaddc3ed2a5.JPG

My biggest coin is a 1780-KM Siberian (Russian) 10 Kopecks.

1780siberia10k.jpg

Rev: Value in crowned shield supported by sables. Obv: Crowned -script E II in a wreath.

It is rather massive in size. It is 46MM in diameter (too big to fit in an NGC slab). It's quite thick and weights 68.17 grams (appx. 2.4 ounces). The rims are nice and not dinged, the surfaces are rather clean, and there is only a couple of small areas where the planchet is less than ideal. It has a nice even appealing brown color.

Struck from 1763-1781 during the reign of Catherine II (The Great). The 1780 date is one of the rarer dates in this series. It catalogs at $245 in XF and is unlisted in higher grades. This coin is certified by NGC as AU55.

My collection feels somehow inadaquate in the presence of such immense coins. I have nothing larger than a thaler.

Hoot, are you becoming moreof a world coin collector these days?

-JamminJ

My collection feels somehow inadaquate in the presence of such immense coins. I have nothing larger than a thaler.

Only a tiny little taler. poke2.gif

Real men have these mighty doppeltalers. A 1614 German Teutonic Order Doppeltaler (TWO Thaler)!

teutonic2tobv.jpgteutonic2trev.jpg

It's 46mm in size and weighs 2.05 ounces.

-JamminJ

Post one! smile.gif

I'm deeply attracted to world coins. My slowness to adopt myself into the realm is all about the intimidation factor. There is so very much to consider. By the same token, that's what makes world coins so wonderful - their vastness. This includes history as well as design. And the extraordinary tales that might be told of the survival of world pieces - it practically bends the mind just thinking about it.

U.S. coinage is still a fascination to me, it has simply been re-contextualized by a greater consideration.

Hoot

Real men have these mighty doppeltalers. A 1614 German Teutonic Order Doppeltaler (TWO Thaler)!

Does that make it a small weapon or a coin? 893whatthe.gifEverything looks "dopple" on that thaler!

And we complain in the U.S. about crowded designs! smirk.gif It's all a matter of implementation for how well the ultimate rendering will convey its message and beauty.

Hoot

Are those mount marks at 3:00 and 6:00? poke2.gifpoke2.gif

-JamminJ

-JamminJ

Not according to NGC who graded this coin AU58. headbang.gif

-JamminJ

Not according to NGC who graded this coin AU58. headbang.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

-JamminJ

-JamminJ

Post one! smile.gif

Okie dokie, here you go:

683288-1620AustriaThalerNGC58a.jpg

It's usual thaler size, ~ 40mm and 28 grams. Best I can do in the "big coin" category.

sorry.gifwink.gif

-JamminJ

What about your massive Olmutz taler?

600474-1704OlmutzThaler.jpg

That's right, this thaler was struck on a broad planchet about 44 mm in diameter. It just barely made it into the slab!

-JamminJ

Only a tiny little taler. poke2.gif

teutonic2tobv.jpgteutonic2trev.jpg

I have some half dimes that are kind of nice. blush.gif

The Queen looks like she has bags under her eyes, Hoot. Perhaps the brilliant proofs will clear up this problem.

I have some half dimes that are kind of nice. blush.gif

Those are the BIGGEST coins you have? 893whatthe.gif Excellent! Post away!

The Queen looks like she has bags under her eyes, Hoot. Perhaps the brilliant proofs will clear up this problem.

You're absolutely right. And I think that the bags are part of the design! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif I'm amused at the "aging" of Queen E II on coins over time. Either the portrait or the Queen herself have not fared well over time, but such is life for all of us! shy.gif

Hoot yeahok.gif