• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Type Set

3 posts in this topic

Finally Started

Good evening, everyone. It has been awhile since I have posted a journal. I hope everyone is well.

I received an email from NGC last week stating that if I didn't add any coins to my 20th Century Type Set, it would be deleted. I registered the set, but I had a hard time starting it, because I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to go about collecting it. Did I want all the same grade? Same grade range? I created a case of Paralysis By Analysis.

Well, the email was enough to get me going. I decided that I would collect the set by the best coin I can get for under $75 - $100. I know that with some of the coins, I will eventually have to shell out more to get a decent coin, but it will be fun to see how far I can go with that price point.

My first two purchases are a 1939 Mercury Dime in MS67 and a 1943 Walking Liberty Half in MS63. I look forward to adding more to what I anticipate to be a very fun collection.

Happy collecting!

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Type collecting is sure fun. My recommendation is to worry less about consistency and find coins that appeal to you whatever the grade. Afterall, it's about what makes you happy and it's only your opinion that matters. Good luck!

I started this set earlier this year. I echo Catbert's advice.

I'm assembling my collection in a way that appeals to me. Some coin designs are much more interesting to me and in those, I'll be willing to spend more on the coin. For those designs I don't necessarily care for (some of the Barber designs), I'll be looking for nice AU coins. Some of them will have toning, some won't. It will depend on the coins eye appeal.

Assemble the set in a way that pleases you because at the end of the day, your the only person who needs to be happy with it!