• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA any better or hype? (sorry if theres already a topic)

9 posts in this topic

I'm sure there's something out there already so I apologize in advance. I couldn't find. I've recently run into a handful of GSA CC Morgans and I'm curious if there's any added value in having it in these holders vs. the standard NGC/PCGS holders. The one I'm most curious about is an 1885 CC MS64 PL. They are all graded by NGC, but in the original GSA box with cert. Thanks!

I believe there is a market premium for Morgans in GSA holders. IMO, they tend to be graded more liberally than ones outside these holders, so as Mark advised, make your decision on the coin.

Thanks and I was thinking the same as I was looking at the NGC grades. I'm no professional, but some look overgraded. I can be wrong though.... Not worth getting cracked open and re-graded. I've aquired about 8 cc Morgans in these holders and never owned any before.

Hi Mark. I was almost expecting that answer and I agree, but you know how some are with holder collecting. I'm sure there are a few GSA collectors out there.

There are a lot of GSA collectors and you need to decide what your preference is. Personally, if given a choice between a Morgan in a GSA holder and one in a non-GSA holder, I'd much prefer the superior coin.

I have not gotten the Blue Sheet for years. It is the Coin Dealer Newsletter (Gray Sheet) publication that prices certified coins on a sight unseen basis. There were some GSA holdered dollars that are rare in the holders which the Blue Sheet reported sold for high premiums. One of them I believe was the 1879-CC Morgan Dollar.

If that is still true, then yes there are few coins that are worth more in GSA holders, but by in large it's the coin not the holder.

Thanks and I was thinking the same as I was looking at the NGC grades. I'm no professional, but some look overgraded. I can be wrong though.... Not worth getting cracked open and re-graded. I've aquired about 8 cc Morgans in these holders and never owned any before.

I have quite a few GSA Morgans. Although I think there are many overgraded coins in those holders, there are many, many beautiful coins in them as well. You just need to be patient and find the right ones. The key is patience. There are a few dates that are extremely scarce, but 78, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, & 85 are all easily found.