• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why?

10 posts in this topic

Proof Coins were initially created to "proof" the die designs and/or create special presentation coins as gifts to visiting dignitaries. Extra's were sold to the public by those who knew of their existence. (Kinda like today. ;) )

"Public Demand" then created the market to which the US Mint has happily responded.

Today, Proof coins, silver or common metals, provide a cash cow for the US Treasury Department and the National Debt.

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if the Chinese government will accept proof sets to help pay off our dept. Maybe.. :whee:

They'll probably just merge your department with another.

Chris

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if the Chinese government will accept proof sets to help pay off our dept. Maybe.. :whee:

The Chinese are not dumb. By in large modern Proof sets have been terrible investments. Most of them have market values that are below their issue prices years and decades after the U.S. Mint sold them.

They'll probably just merge your department with another.

Chris

Haha! I didn't notice that!

Why did the government begin to make proof coins? Was it to keep a preserved model of the coin?

Why does the mint now offer 'silver proof sets'? Is it for financial gain?

One of the alternative names for "Proof coins" is "master coins." One of the early purposes of making Proofs was to check out to sell how a coin design looked under ideal circumstances.