• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada coins

18 posts in this topic

I don't know what information is on the Internet, but on this link you'll see some of the standard Canadian guidebooks.

If you have some general questions, ask them here - we should be able to answer them.

moneyhoney,

I'm glad to see you've mostly figured out how to post pictures.

You have a circulated 1941 Canadian cent.

My advice is to spend the cent.

moneyhoney,

Banks won't take foreign coins; they'll only take foreign paper money as currency exchange.

When I want to get rid of a Canadian coin or two, I put it in the middle of one of the rolls of coins that I deposit when I empty my piggy bank.

...and when you check your bank statement, is there a change in what you deposited ? they are not worth much anyway..don't know if stores will accept them. I have a few friends on facebook, perhaps they will want them... :grin:

moneyhoney,

Don't do what Dave suggests. It's unethical and just passes the shortage on to the next person.

Many banks do accept foreign coins which can be deposited separately based on the current exchange rate. Check with your local bank to determine what their policies and procedures are.

Chris

Well, around here (the metropolitan NYC area) banks don't accept foreign coins, just currency.

As far as any "loss" in putting foreign coins in a roll, I've never had a bank complain and I get foreign coins in change several times a year.

I've gotten quarters from the Bahamas and Bermuda, Canadian dimes, British 5 pence coins - if it's about the same size as an American coin it will circulate.

Of course, around here, most people I see don't count their change, either.

Well, around here (the metropolitan NYC area) banks don't accept foreign coins, just currency.

As far as any "loss" in putting foreign coins in a roll, I've never had a bank complain and I get foreign coins in change several times a year.

I've gotten quarters from the Bahamas and Bermuda, Canadian dimes, British 5 pence coins - if it's about the same size as an American coin it will circulate.

Of course, around here, most people I see don't count their change, either.

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Chris

Many banks do accept foreign coins which can be deposited separately based on the current exchange rate.

Really? I've never seen one. Maybe for Canadian at a bank right on the nothern border, but I can't see them taking other foreign coins. Even the foreign exchange businesses won't take coins because the weight compared to value is too high. Shipping them home for redemption cost more than the coins are worth, and people exchanging dollars for foreign currency typically only want the paper.