• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kennedy Proof Values

6 posts in this topic

I was just perusing the NGC Values and noticed a large amount of them have dropped. Mostly silver. Could the current state of the bullion marked be causing this? And if so, I thought bullion prices were not supposed to intrude on the numismatic prices.

Yes the price of silver could be a factor since many will only see these coins as being worth nominal premiums over the melt value of the coin. Another factor that doesn't help is that the coin market is not doing well in many segments. Moderns seem to have taken a hit.

And if so, I thought bullion prices were not supposed to intrude on the numismatic prices.

It will when the bullion value is a significant percentage of the total value. If you see a coin that has a price guide value of say $15, and the value of the bullion in that coin is $10, then the real numismatic value of the coin is $5 not $15. And if the bullion value of the coin drops to $7, you will see a drop in the guide prices.

On the other hand if the guide price for that coin is $150 and the bullion value moves from $10 to $7, You probably WON'T see a drop in the guide price of the coin. A $3 drop in bullion value on the $15 coin was 20% of the value. A $3 drop on the $150 coin is 2%, not enough to warrant a change.

it was on mostly silver, but the clads were affected also. I figured it would not affect the higher graded coins but it did. Silver has not moved enough recently to warrant that change, bullion is not a large percentage of kennedys anyway. Probably just a market correction

it was on mostly silver, but the clads were affected also. I figured it would not affect the higher graded coins but it did. Silver has not moved enough recently to warrant that change, bullion is not a large percentage of kennedys anyway. Probably just a market correction

For the PF69 and lower grades, I disagree. And with regards to the PF70, I think that is reflective of the softening of this arena of the market (moderns generally) and the prices will naturally plummet as more and more top pop coins are made.