• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Libertas Americana Medal... is this one real?

8 posts in this topic

As I said ATS I think that it is a cast piece of some sort. Check out the spear in Minerva's hand. It is way too thick. There is something "manufactured" about this item.

I like all the input but I especially appreciate Mr. Jones' explanation. There is something definitely off on the spear of Minerva. I expect this is a fake of some sort.

Feel free to report on ebay. 111482065444

It's actually a pretty darn good fake, is it possible that there were different dies?

wdHi0bg.jpg

It's actually a pretty darn good fake, is it possible that there were different dies?

In all my years of collecting, I have only heard of one variety of the ORIGNAL issue. There have been later "restrikes" which were made newly made dies.

NOTE: A restrike is a coin, token or medal that is made from the original die pair AFTER the piece was first issued. Usually the term is used when a dated piece is struck after the date that is on the die. It is not a copy that is made later from another die pair.

Plaster casts and electrotypes of the medal were readily available in the 19th century. Some were of excellent quality, most were so-so. Any of these could have been used to prepare new copy dies or molds.