• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have Collection Supplements?

38 posts in this topic

"Initially there was a dolphin on each side of the pedestal below Liberty, representing the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans."

Well, nope. The design with dolphins was completed in late August and accepted by the Secretary of the Treasury -- it was MacNeil's final design, not the initial one as implied by your quote.

"Initially there was a dolphin on each side of the pedestal below Liberty, representing the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans."

Well, nope. The design with dolphins was completed in late August and accepted by the Secretary of the Treasury -- it was MacNeil's final design, not the initial one as implied by your quote.

Do you know why it was changed to its final version ?

The version issued was much like the one originally submitted. There were problems with detail, coin thickness and fining discovered during pattern/experimental strikes. Also Liberty was slightly bow-legged. MacNeil decided to correct the problems by redesigning the obverse. This was approved by the Sec of Treasury and MacNeil thought it was going to be used. The mint did not communicate with the artist, and when MacNeil was sent a few of the first 1916 coins in Jan 1917, he was livid. He went to the Phil Mint, saw several versions of his designs that Morgan had altered.

Eventually this led to the 1917 T-2, but his attempt to go back to the Sept obverse were rejected because the coins were already in production.

See: Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921 for all the details.

Here is a another "supplement."

It has been suspected, but never proven that that the obverse design for the Lafayette Dollar was "borrowed" from the Yorktown medal which was issued in 1881. The resemblance is interesting.

LafayetteO.jpg

Yorktown medal.

YorktowncopperO.jpg

YorktowncopperR.jpg

Incidentally, I've never seen any of the "coins" one could send this wrapper in for. If anyone should know the whereabouts of a set PLEASE let me know!!

I don't think this is the coin that you could get, but who knows. I was thinking about you today and I snagged this little jewel up for about the cost of two soft drinks.

Tell me if you want it for your collection and when it comes in I will arrange to send it to you.

Beetles2America1964.jpg

Thanks a lot. See your PMs.

Jim

A few new additions to my Roosevelt dime collection...

Some colorful stamps from San Marino issued in 1947:

2qjwt9v.jpg

And another March Of Dimes coin donation card. I can't date this one exactly, but based on the design of the union logo in the bottom right hand corner on the reverse, it must date somewhere between 1945 and 1964. Based on the overall design, however, I'd guess it dates from the late 1950s to early 1960s. The kid on the back looks like Elroy Jetson:

ixyr2g.jpgvmzn6a.jpg