• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have Collection Supplements?

38 posts in this topic

Along with my Roosevelt dime collection, I have several small March of Dimes and FDR-related pieces from the period to sort of supplement my set. Anyone else have pieces to supplement your coin collection?

Here are some March of Dimes awareness and fundraising matchbook covers I have. I'm guessing they're from the late 30s to early 40s. One is dated 1938, and another refers to "President" Franklin D. Roosevelt.

2llepf6.jpg2rcnxpk.jpg

b8qrrd.jpgfxtgr5.jpg

2vwg0sp.jpgwhei5t.jpg

ouoy0j.jpg

I only paid a few bucks for each of these and I think they're pretty cool. And that old sulfur smell is great. I have a few other different small pieces like this that I keep in Premier holders, which works nicely because I can just keep my coins and this supplemental stuff all together.

Anyone else spice up their coin collection like this?

Many of you know that coins aren't my only love, I'm also an avid Beatles collector. You guys only THINK coins are expensive :o

As a sidebar I also collect paper ice cream wrappers. Here's one that supplements both of my main collections.

beatlesicecream.jpg

Incidentally, I've never seen any of the "coins" one could send this wrapper in for. If anyone should know the whereabouts of a set PLEASE let me know!!

The Beatles ice cream wrapper is awesome. I'm nowhere near old enough to remember the 1960s Beatlemania. It's hard to imagine that they were so popular at the time that people saved what basically amounted to trash just because it had their image on it.

Here's a few other things that I've found that fit nicely into cardboard slab boxes:

2gui8b8.jpg

From bottom to top:

* FDR First Day Cover Jan. 30 1946 -- This was issued on the same date as the public release date of the Roosevelt dime.

* March of Dimes Coin Donation Mailer -- Not dated, but it must be from after FDR's death. The mailer says "In Remember of Franklin D. Roosevelt".

* March of Dimes Printers Block -- Don't know how to date this one. I'm guessing it's from the late 30s or early 40s based on the design of the logo with the torch.

b5fbdy.jpg

I am not sure that this counts but (and I wouldn't want this to get around) I have collected a stamp or two. :eek:

I like collecting Medals and Coins that relate to The Civil War, and I think I missed the boat on the entire collection of these, but they were part of a series of Civil War commemorative stamps that came in a very nice outer holder and historic information in the accompanying booklet.

I might have to get on eBay and search out what (if any) that I am missing to make that collection complete.

I think it compliments the Civil War related exonumia that I collect, although it is not 150 plus years old.

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPGIMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

Along with my Roosevelt dime collection, I have several small March of Dimes and FDR-related pieces from the period to sort of supplement my set. Anyone else have pieces to supplement your coin collection?

Here are some March of Dimes awareness and fundraising matchbook covers I have. I'm guessing they're from the late 30s to early 40s. One is dated 1938, and another refers to "President" Franklin D. Roosevelt.

2llepf6.jpg2rcnxpk.jpg

b8qrrd.jpgfxtgr5.jpg

2vwg0sp.jpgwhei5t.jpg

ouoy0j.jpg

I only paid a few bucks for each of these and I think they're pretty cool. And that old sulfur smell is great. I have a few other different small pieces like this that I keep in Premier holders, which works nicely because I can just keep my coins and this supplemental stuff all together.

Anyone else spice up their coin collection like this?

That old sulfer smell ought to make for some interesting toning! :cloud9:

Trying to find as many brochures as I can around the coins and celebrations:

100_0783.png

Stacks_Bowers_June2013_Cal_JubileeA-3.jpg

100_0380.jpg

Delaware Commemorative Half Dollar

DelO.jpgDelR.jpg

Small history book sold at the time that the half dollar was issued.

DelAlminCover.jpg

Program cover for the celebration that was held in Wilmington on June 27, 1938

DelProgCover.jpg

Artist's conception of the half dollar pictured in the program. Note that it did not exactly match the final design.

DelEarlydesign.jpg

Cover and interior of a holder that could house five coins.

DelCoinFold.jpgDelCoinFoldInside.jpg

Half Dollar sized medal that was issued during the same celebration. This piece was priced at 50 cents and the issue did not sell out until at the least 1959 when I bought this one when I was in the 5th grade. This piece is now listed as a so-called dollar.

DelawareSmO.jpgDelawareSmR.jpg

A medal in silver issued by Sweden in conjunction with the celebration. The Swedes also issued this in copper, which I also have.

SwedDelMedalO.jpgSwedDelMedalR.jpg

I have more, but I've taken up enough space already. ;)

I collect Lincoln stuff. Mostly bronze plaques.

Any idea what a signed engraved original portrait by Marshall of Lincoln might be worth...(signed by Marshall not Lincoln) I found one in of all places a pawn shop but I have no idea what it would be worth.

Lincoln, Abraham (1809-1865) Lithographic Portrait After William Edgar Marshall (1837-1906)

...(signed by Marshall not Lincoln)

:roflmao:

I just about spilled my drink on that... I don't know why I found it so funny.

That link to that item... Is that what you have and if so, that is really desirable.

Awesome stuff.

Here's another little thing that I paid a little more for ($20), but it reflects a few small pieces of the Roosevelt dime story.

312hdaa.jpg2jevhqc.jpg

It's a 1964-D Roosevelt dime in what I think is lucite that celebrates the General Telephone Co. of Florida's operation of their 500,000th telephone line. My guess is that these were given out to employees, perhaps at a celebration event or, probably more likely, just handed out on a regular work day.

A brief summary of the General Telephone Co. of Florida:

Founded in 1901, the Peninsular Telephone Co. became the General Telephone Co. of Florida in 1935 after it was acquired by the General Telephone & Electronics Corp. (GTE). In 2000, GTE merged with Bell Atlantic to become Verizon Communications. Today, Verizon Florida LLC is the current incarnation of the older company.

To put 500,000 operating telephone lines into some perspective, the Bell Telephone Company, which held a monopoly on the Bell System (a.k.a. "Ma Bell"), operated a million telephone lines in 1960. So 500,000 made the General Telephone Co. of Florida a pretty big telecommunications company for the time.

[Not in my collection] The General Telephone Co. of Florida Building - Sarasota, Florida - April 1960

w0kwaa.jpg

(source: http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/42048 )

The significance of the dime to a telephone company might be a bit lost on younger folks. But the cost of a pay phone call at the time was ten cents. So the Roosevelt dime is the only coin a telecom company is going to use for something like this at the time. Later on, they would have used a quarter.

Also of note, the dime itself exhibits the Pointed 9 variety. This makes sense because, as it has been noted by many, the Pointed 9 variety was produced early in the 1964-dated run; which actually lasted until April 1966. But of course, that's assuming that the dime was encased on or around the date.

However, I really doubt it was encased much later. And I think I can say with good confidence that the dime itself hasn't been handled by a human in nearly 50 years. I actually use this dime sometimes as a reference when trying to grade others.

I collect Lincoln stuff. Mostly bronze plaques.

Any idea what a signed engraved original portrait by Marshall of Lincoln might be worth...(signed by Marshall not Lincoln) I found one in of all places a pawn shop but I have no idea what it would be worth.

Lincoln, Abraham (1809-1865) Lithographic Portrait After William Edgar Marshall (1837-1906)

Sorry. I don't.

...(signed by Marshall not Lincoln)

:roflmao:

I just about spilled my drink on that... I don't know why I found it so funny.

That link to that item... Is that what you have and if so, that is really desirable.

I passed on it because of the price. Its not in great shape but everything about it appears to be original. Its not only signed by Marshall but was given as a gift to a woman in NYC by Marshall and its inscribed to her personally.

Im not a Lincoln collector so if you are interested in it I can pass along the pawn shop info and you can call them about it. Its $1300 but I suspect they are willing to negotiate.

I tend to hang onto any documentation that accompanies a purchase particularly if it's of a historical nature. A fire in the cathedral choir at York Minster in 1829 gave rise to a medal (BHM 1361) and an auction to collect money for repairs (as described in the York Courant.)

MergedBHM1361.jpg

BHM1361000022.jpg

I guess the only real supplement would be the toned Peace $ sterling silver dish in this photo but I do like to buy coin related items when I find them at yard sales, flea markets or curio shops. The coins embedded in lucite is growing collection.

The glass is from a set of 2 that has all gold coins on the sides in gold leaf. The guy that sold them to me said his father got them at an ANA Convention back in the 1950s.

photo.jpg

After a couple of people asked me to continue, here are a couple of additional Delaware items that have a connection to the Delaware commemorative half dollar.

This is the large, 2.75 inch, version of the Delaware medal in copper. This piece sold for $2.50. There was also a silver version of this medal that sold for $7.50. I would love to buy one of those but THE expert on Delaware collectables told that he had only heard of one piece, and he did not have one. If HE can't get one, I know my chances are nil. Back at the end of The Great Depression (1938) $7.50 was way too much for most people to spend on a medal.

DelLargeO_zpsf27b5b34.jpgDelLargeR_zps5746aacb.jpg

This is the copper version of the Swedish medal I posted previously.

SwDelMedalCuO_zps6fe7b727.jpgSwDelMedalCUR_zpsac19ab96.jpg

Here is photo of Old Swedes Church in Wilmington, Delaware. The main building was constructed in 1698. The belfry was added in the late 1790s. This is the angle that was used for the Delaware commemorative, but there is now a bush and a tree in the way.

OldSwedsChurchsm.jpg

Im not a Lincoln collector so if you are interested in it I can pass along the pawn shop info and you can call them about it. Its $1300 but I suspect they are willing to negotiate.

Thanks for the offer but I think I will pass on that. I could probably *almost* buy a medal at *near* the quality that Bill Jones buys with that money. ;)

...also have my Flintstones vitamin supplements.... :)

I take it that they supplement your collection of wooden nickels? :baiting:

Incidentally, I've never seen any of the "coins" one could send this wrapper in for. If anyone should know the whereabouts of a set PLEASE let me know!!

I don't think this is the coin that you could get, but who knows. I was thinking about you today and I snagged this little jewel up for about the cost of two soft drinks.

Tell me if you want it for your collection and when it comes in I will arrange to send it to you.

Beetles2America1964.jpg

What is the animal on the obverse of the Swedish medal? Is it a whale with a stylized head? The head really reminds me of a Chinese dragon.

My guess would a pair of dolphins.

Cool. This one here?

2v8s2np.jpg

A few things I found online about these dolphins:

On the upper step at the base of the wall are two dolphins, one on each side of Liberty’s feet. The dolphins represent the Atlantic and Pacific oceans much as they did on the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition gold dollar designed by Charles Keck or Robert Aitken’s $50 gold piece.

http://www.coinlink.com/CoinGuide/category/rarity-of-the-week/

MacNeil decided to place a standing Liberty figure on the obverse of the quarter. Initially there was a dolphin on each side of the pedestal below Liberty, representing the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The Panama Canal had recently opened, and even though the canal had inspired its own commemorative coins in 1915, MacNeil apparently thought a further tribute would be appropriate on the new quarter.

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=7833

I can't find anything that points to an exact species. But maybe something like this one, called a calderon dolphin:

sm3c6o.jpg