• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to coins 5 shilling question

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone- I am new to this coin collecting- but just inherited a pile of coins & sets (mostly USA) and am sorting through everything. Any how I have some 5 shilling coins, in Midland bank Holders that seem to be un-circulated. photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

Any information or suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

BT

You have not told us what you're looking for, and you seem to know what you have (the usual question), so one is not sure where to suggest you look.

If you're going to collect a lot of foreign coins, the much-maligned Krause guides are what most of us use to figure out what we've got. They are called Standard Catalog of World Coins, and Krause issues one per century of coinage.

Good online references are Numismedia and Catawiki. If one knew what you were looking for, one might suggest others.

Hint: the pics would have been fine if you had cropped them.

I think most people would agree that I am a fairly big time U.S. coin collector. I dabble in British and can tell you a bit about what you have here.

The piece on the left is a 1954 Queen Elizabeth Coronation crown. This was the only piece that was available to the general public when Elizabeth was crowned. The gold pieces, which were usually issued for such celebrations, were made in very small quantities, because of the continuing post World War II British austerity.

The one in the middle was issued to celebrate the marriage of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer. It was the last crown to be issued by the British, which ended a tradition that started in 1551.

The coin on the right was issued on the 80th birthday of Elizabeth, the queen mother. She was the wife of King George VI. The reverse is a bit of word play with bows and lions. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

None of these pieces are very valuable, and all of them have been de-monetized. They are fun to collect however. I bought a five piece set that contained two of these coins while I was in London last year.