• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lewis & Clark Research

17 posts in this topic

Still on the hunt for "fresh" research items.

This is a part of the first and last page of the contract between Farran Zerbe and Exposition Management for the selling of the gold dollars.

There are 40 articles plus some typed in data on this contract.

This is all cool stuff to me. :)

SLibrarycop14100322060A1ACombo.jpg

Cool stuff, I constantly say how I need to learn more about Lewis and Clark since I cross their trail several times a week.

(Wasn't it originally Mary Lewis and Clark until Mary's husband heard about the "business trip" ?)

This is a part of the first and last page of the contract between Farran Zerbe and Exposition Management for the selling of the gold dollars.

Interesting document. If it is a contract why are there no dates and why are there no counter signatures? Looks like a draft of a document that Zerbe offered but with no dates and no counter signatures it is not a contract.

Perhaps there are some missing pages?

Carl

Thanks all.

Roger's favorite person. :)

I have the rest of the contract pages, just didn't want to bore everyone with the details.

I have documents in this group that show Zerbe didn't like to pay his bills and had problems with authority.

For those who might not know about the coin in question, here a 1905 Lewis and Clark gold dollar. There is also a 1904 dated coin. I will post that also if you like although it is the same except for the date.

Ferron Zerbe was known for making promises about the large number of commemorative coins he was going to sell and then failing to deliver.

1905LewisampClarkO_zps2452801c.jpg1905LewisampClarkR_zpsebe27911.jpg

These pieces were sold to $2.00 each to raise funds for a bronze memorial to Sacagawea, which was erected. In round numbers 10,000 of each date were sold. The total mintages were 25,028 in 1904 and 35,041 in 1905. As you can see, more than half of the coins went to the melting pot which gave fuel to those who argued that the minting of commemorative coins was a waste of time and resources.

Interesting document. If it is a contract why are there no dates and why are there no counter signatures? Looks like a draft of a document that Zerbe offered but with no dates and no counter signatures it is not a contract.

Perhaps there are some missing pages?

Carl

Hi Carl,

Here is something with a date:

SLibrarycop14100322110A28A.jpg

For those who are interested in the real Lewis and Clark, I highly recommend reading their words describing their trip: The Journals of Lewis and Clark, 1804-1806

It is truly and enjoyable and exciting read!

For those who are interested in the real Lewis and Clark, I highly recommend reading their words describing their trip: The Journals of Lewis and Clark, 1804-1806

It is truly and enjoyable and exciting read!

Welcome to the boards 'thetracer.' Thanks for adding some content.

(thumbs u

SLibrarycop14100322200A18A.jpg

Happy to be here. History is what got me into coins!

I see that it's more than just about the coin for you. It's the same for me.

:)