• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fugio attribution... how good are you?

10 posts in this topic

This should be a challenge. Bought this as part of a collection. This was in a mix of a bunch of foreign/junk. It's essentially junk the way it is but it's still very recognizable. Give me your thoughts.

fugioo.jpg

fugior.jpg

brass-curency-continental

I think it is the one 'R' currency with the alignment of the 'E'. Looks brass too.

Talk about seeing circulation; whew! That in and of itself is desirable I would think. If not to others then PM me.

To begin with, I thought this was a fake. My first thoughts were that the mottos "Fugio" and "Mind Your Business" were too close to the rim. So that rules out the 1776 Fugio. But after a little more investigation, this actually appears to be the 1787 Fugio. There are a couple different varieties of the 1787, but the coin is too worn to make any distinctions on which variety it may be.

To begin with, I thought this was a fake. My first thoughts were that the mottos "Fugio" and "Mind Your Business" were too close to the rim. So that rules out the 1776 Fugio. But after a little more investigation, this actually appears to be the 1787 Fugio. There are a couple different varieties of the 1787, but the coin is too worn to make any distinctions on which variety it may be.

I noticed that too but thought maybe it had just worn down in diameter but I think you nailed it now that I am looking at a picture of one of the 1787 examples. Even though that still looks like the remnants of a 'E' on the right side, I can see now that there is no way it can be.

I think it would have to be a real coin and not a fake with that much wear though. How a counterfeit copy could get so much wear I would not even begin to imagine.

I noticed that too but thought maybe it had just worn down in diameter but I think you nailed it now that I am looking at a picture of one of the 1787 examples. Even though that still looks like the remnants of a 'E' on the right side, I can see now that there is no way it can be.

I think it would have to be a real coin and not a fake with that much wear though. How a counterfeit copy could get so much wear I would not even begin to imagine.

My first assumption was that it was a fake. That's why I got to looking at it a bit closer. But my "numis-senses" started tingling and I got the itch to dig a little deeper until I found what I was looking for!

What you are seeing on the right side that looks like the remnants of an "E" is actually the "1" in the date.