• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1941 walking dollar

11 posts in this topic

I HAVE "sight-graded" this coin according to description. It's very fine with value of 8.01 and it's a circulated coin. I need to determine if the silver is worth more. I have a question. Once a coin wears down does it lose some of it weight? I am asking this because I want to determine if the silver is worth more by calculations using the formula I found on line

thank you

As of Close of Business, the silver in a Half Dollar is worth about $6.14

Do they lose weight as they wear? Of course. But rarely is this taken into consideration since the amount is negligible.

moneyhoney,

You will not be able to sell this 1941 half dollar for $8.01. A buyer will only buy this coin for its silver content (which is currently less than $8.01). A buyer will most likely pay you slightly less than the full amount of the coin's silver content - especially if you sell it to a dealer, since he will then sell the coin to a larger buyer of silver, who will pay him slightly less than the full amount of the silver content.

edited to add: if the silver value is about $6, then you should be able to buy it from a dealer for around $8 - depending on whether you're buying just one coin or many coins.

...sigh. Why are these website posting these prices? There has to be something that I haven't been able to catch. It appears that only rare coins is where the money is. Once I see these prices on these websites, is there any way I can determine how much I am going to be able to sell it for? I don't mean to sound disrespectful but, how do you determine that a dealer will not pay a certain amount for a certain coin? what is "spot price"? I been checking on that too. I think that depends on what the market says is the price of silver. Wouldn't that help with trying to sell the coin to a dealer?

moneyhoney,

Websites (or any other price guide) are only guides - they are only estimates; they're not guarantees or "written in stone."

You're pretty much right - "only rare coins is where the money is."

The only way to determine how much you could sell something for is to be familiar with the coin market (that is, you have to know what coins are currently selling for).

I know "that a dealer will not pay a certain amount for a certain coin" by being familiar with the current coin market.

The 1941 Walking Liberty half dollar in circulated condition is considered to be a very common coin by coin collectors. Most collectors who collect this coin will collect it in uncirculated grade (perhaps even a high uncirculated grade); therefore, a circulated example only has value above its face value because it is made of silver.

As a result, this coin will be bought and sold based on the spot (that is, the current) price of silver. If this coin has $6 worth of silver in it at the current spot price of silver, then no dealer will pay you $8 for it because he will only be able to sell it for about $6.

I was thinking about that but, what can I do? I don't want to keep posting so many questions about the same coin, well at least I try not to. With all the questions I have I could fill up the entire forum.... :blahblah:

Moneyhoney, first you have to determine your goals. Why are you collecting coins? What do you want to do with them? Which ones interest you?

It seems like right now you have a large, or maybe a couple of large jars of change that you have filled through the years and think you can profit off them. Very hard to do, unless they started filling 100 years ago.

Check ebay for selling prices, they WILL NOT be what you are reading online in your price guides.

When we know some of these answers you will start getting answers that may help guide you along better and focus your energies along a better path.

Good luck

Thank you for responding. What is the purpose for the price guides? Are they for the purpose of buying or selling. I find them confusing, even the ones on this website. I am learning from the responses that I receive. Thank you