• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found in Foreign Coin Lot – made say HUH?

10 posts in this topic

I’ve been collecting US & Newfoundland coins for over 40 years and since you basically come across the same thing time and time again every once in a while I’ll buy one of those big bags of foreign coin lots on ebay just for the fun of going through what is mostly junk. It breaks up the boredom of my constant searching for particular coins. Every once in a while you come across something odd or interesting worth researching. I find it enjoyable to search through these kind of things.

The coin pictured came in one of those bags. Although worth next to nothing I did find it interesting to find what I think is a Free Mason symbol stamped into a penny and thought I’d share it just for the curious.

Enjoy

Jim

150147.jpg.053372f51a632645e2a1b8a18cd19b9e.jpg

150149.jpg.d5e8c1439be9495128d05606b37f1637.jpg

It looks like some sort of an odd ball chapter penny thing. I'm not a Mason so I don't know for sure. I thought that most chapter pennies were stand alone pieces, not something that was counterstamped.

So if I clean it and make it all nice and sparkly ya think a secret map will be revealed that leads to some pot of gold? Seriously though my older brother is a mason and I will email him to ask if it might have any meaning what so ever. Still sort of a neat thing...

Have a great day

Jim