• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Heritage behavior for Marshall Collection tonight

14 posts in this topic

All along, the Marshall Collection of Conder Tokens was advertised by HA to be ending on October 2, 2014 (tonight) at 10pm Central Time (CT) with no live auction (screen shot below).

haauction_posted_details_zpsf1e07286.jpg

I noticed earlier this evening while I was browsing lots around 6pm CT that the count-down clock was wrong and was set to end the auction at 8pm. I thought...this must just be a fluke...but to be safe I gave HA a call anyway. It says on their website that they are open until 5pm PT (7pm CT), so I thought someone might answer the phone. No such luck, after calling and waiting on hold 3 times.

Well, it wasn't a fluke, the auction bidding closed at 8pm CT according to their auction site. So, here I sit at my computer a few minutes after 8pm CT, and bidding is closed -- so I guess I won't be placing any of my bids in this auction. (shrug)

Oh well,

-Brandon

haauction_messup_zps83f42bbd.jpg

Brandon,

Be sure to call HA tomorrow and thank them for saving you a bundle of money because they closed the session early.

Chris

Brandon,

Be sure to call HA tomorrow and thank them for saving you a bundle of money because they closed the session early.

Chris

:roflmao:

I'm sure "Marshall" (whomever he/she may be) really also appreciates the much lower sale prices due to this error. A LOT of action happens in the last couple hours of Heritage auctions.

As I said, oh well. (shrug)

-Brandon

Well, strangely, I just (on a whim) tried to submit a trivial bid on one lot, and it took it despite the auction saying "Internet Bidding Closed".

I guess it must just be a problem with their auction status message...but things seem to still be open (even though it's glaring you in the face saying it's closed). weird...

Well, all of my snipes went through at a few seconds before 10pm CT, so the auction was certainly still open until then. I can't explain the odd text that was listed in the auctions that said bidding was closed? (shrug)

I'll guess we'll see if tomorrow brings an invoice or not...

-Brandon

It sounds like the programmer who used to work at Stacks' now has a job at Heritage. ;) This is the first I have heard of Heritage having problems like this.

It sounds like the programmer who used to work at Stacks' now has a job at Heritage. ;) This is the first I have heard of Heritage having problems like this.

Heritage just changed all of their weekly auctions from "End at 10pm, no live bidding" to "End at some time earlier, and then live bidding on Heritage Live!". While I understand that move from a business standpoint (they definitely probably get higher final sell prices), this Marshall sell was right on the cusp between the change-over. My guess is that there was some confusion.

In general, Heritage is (in my opinion) the best online auction site out there (hands down). Their system is straightforward, easy to use, and I have never had a problem placing a bid. I think their Heritage Live! system is also a masterpiece of programming and real time auctions. I am guessing this will be the last time I see such weirdness on their site for a very long time.

But, all is well that ends well, and I did end up with 3 very reasonably priced tokens from last night's auction -- despite the hiccups and oddities of the "closed" signs. :grin:

-Brandon

Brandon,

Agree with you about Heritage's site being the best. I had some bids in last night, but they were only "markers". I picked out a few tokens I liked and wanted to follow. The bids were only placed to make it easy to find them and the final price. So I didn't notice the anomolies you did.

I was on the live Legend auction last night and it pales in comparison to Heritage's.

Congrats on your wins. Will you be posting pics of your NEWP's?

Joe

Brandon,

Agree with you about Heritage's site being the best. I had some bids in last night, but they were only "markers". I picked out a few tokens I liked and wanted to follow. The bids were only placed to make it easy to find them and the final price. So I didn't notice the anomolies you did.

I was on the live Legend auction last night and it pales in comparison to Heritage's.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I always like to wait until I have my newps in hand before posting pictures. 1) I don't like to "borrow" the auction pictures, and 2) I feel my pictures usually better represent the tokens in hand than the auction house images.

--------------------

Here are the lots I was lucky to win at reasonable bids:

1)

The Kent-20 (Lot 15126) I just really liked the surfaces of and the boat scene on the obverse. One small spot on the obverse upper, but not bad. Particularly decent for a Lutwyche product (which are usually horrendously manufactured).

2)

The Midd-340 (Lot 15207) is graded NGC AU Details, but that darned design is almost impossible to find (Rare, ~75 struck). For $70, I'm happy to have that example in my collection as opposed to one for 10+x more than that in MS63 or so. (shrug)

3)

The last was Lot 15209, Midd-343. This is a later restrike done by Taylor c. 1870 of the Ibberson's design. I already have one raw from the Griffith's sale (2011), and I think that one will grade out to around MS64 -- but I liked this one also, and for $100 I didn't see much downside.

-Brandon

I picked up four, not so reasonably priced, tokens but none that I really wanted. Best was a Kent 15 with an unlisted edge.

And I placed bids after 9:30 PM CT with no problem.

I picked up four, not so reasonably priced, tokens but none that I really wanted. Best was a Kent 15 with an unlisted edge.

And I placed bids after 9:30 PM CT with no problem.

Placing the bids wasn't a problem -- It was the message on their site telling you "Internet Bidding Closed" -- despite the ability to still place bids.

Brandon,

Joe

Hi Joe,

I always like to wait until I have my newps in hand before posting pictures. 1) I don't like to "borrow" the auction pictures, and 2) I feel my pictures usually better represent the tokens in hand than the auction house images.

--------------------

Here are the lots I was lucky to win at reasonable bids:

1)

The Kent-20 (Lot 15126) I just really liked the surfaces of and the boat scene on the obverse. One small spot on the obverse upper, but not bad. Particularly decent for a Lutwyche product (which are usually horrendously manufactured).

2)

The Midd-340 (Lot 15207) is graded NGC AU Details, but that darned design is almost impossible to find (Rare, ~75 struck). For $70, I'm happy to have that example in my collection as opposed to one for 10+x more than that in MS63 or so. (shrug)

3)

The last was Lot 15209, Midd-343. This is a later restrike done by Taylor c. 1870 of the Ibberson's design. I already have one raw from the Griffith's sale (2011), and I think that one will grade out to around MS64 -- but I liked this one also, and for $100 I didn't see much downside.

-Brandon

Understand about the pictures. I don't have a set-up, so I borrow pictures from the auction houses when I win a coin. I agree yours are much better. In 2015 I plan to get the equipment and learn to photograph my coins properly.

I was watching Lot 15208 (among many others). Similar to 15207. Different reverse. I have my eye on a couple coins in their upcoming auction and couldn't pull the trigger on any of the tokens. Partly because I feel I need to learn more before purchasing eventhough the prices were reasonable. I know nothing about tokens, but their history is intriguing so I'm just getting myself familiar with them at the moment.

Anway, I'm glad you were successful. Hope to see pics of your Newps once you get them in hand.

Joe

Understand about the pictures. I don't have a set-up, so I borrow pictures from the auction houses when I win a coin. I agree yours are much better. In 2015 I plan to get the equipment and learn to photograph my coins properly.

I was watching Lot 15208 (among many others). Similar to 15207. Different reverse. I have my eye on a couple coins in their upcoming auction and couldn't pull the trigger on any of the tokens. Partly because I feel I need to learn more before purchasing eventhough the prices were reasonable. I know nothing about tokens, but their history is intriguing so I'm just getting myself familiar with them at the moment.

Anway, I'm glad you were successful. Hope to see pics of your Newps once you get them in hand.

Joe

Hi Joe, The Midd-342 (Lot 15208) was a decent piece, and went for a nice price. I would have been interested in that one, but I already have 5 examples in my collection -- so I figured I would let someone else have a go at it. ;)

-Brandon