• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fraser's Buffalo Nickel Electrotypes

7 posts in this topic

I would like to hear from any collectors who have good images of the James Fraser Buffalo nickel electrotypes made in 1911 or 1912, or from anyone who can provide new or expanded information on these items. I am looking for information beyond that which is available in standard references on patterns and the Buffalo nickel.

Thanks!

accurateye@aol.com

RWB - Here's what I think of as an electrotype:

A duplicate coin created by the electrolytic method, where metal is deposited into a mold made from the original. The obverse and reverse metal shells are then filled with metal and fused together. The edges are then sometimes filed smooth to obscure the seam. Heritage

If you are thinking of Fraser's original models, I can think of no better reference than Lange's book The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels, second edition. Pages 2 and 3 have images of the inverse imagos of 1912. Page 23 has the positive imagos; these are likely plaster and I don't know if they are electroplated. I'm sure Dave would know where these reside. Several of the trial strikes for the coin are at the Smithsonian, so it would not surprise me that the original models are as well. You may have to arrange to photograph them yourself in order to get what you seek, and that may be contingent on the ultimate use of your photos. Perhaps Dave will know where better photos reside. Also, try calling the ANA library (719-632-2646) to see if they store photos that you might be able to get copies of, borrow (if you're an ANA member), or view on-site.

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

You may want to contact the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City. They have many of Fraser's models, including some Buffalo Nickel material. If you haven't seen it, there is a Joseph Lepczyk auction catalog from 1980 that features many intermediate and alternative models of the Buffalo Nickel. These are now widely dispersed.

Dave,

Thanks. I have access to the Joe Lepczyk catalog (was on his mailing list at the time), but the images are not good enough for use in my book. The Cowboy Hall of Fame has little related to the nickel design, although it is a great place to take the family. Fraser called the pieces "electroshells" and it turns out they were much more important in the scheme of things than assumed.

RWB

Thanks to everyone who contacted me off-line about the Fraser electrotypes. The infomration was very helpful.

RWB