• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help need from experienced graders LINK FOUND

6 posts in this topic

Hello.

I realize only so much can be explained from images but thought I'd try and also I included as much info as possible.

I recently bought a coin I fully expected to grade details due to its scratches on the reverse. Still a very rare Carson City gold coin. I had it graded and as expected it came back Details scratches reverse. I am totally fine and happy with it. Then I saw a coin coming up for auction at Stacks thats been on my radar that was also graded by NGC but in Silver; its a Morgan Silver Dollar without Details. I can grade somewhere between G4 and MS70 but this really perplexes me. The following is as much info as I could obtain. And yes I know FMV means nothing I just included it for comparison.

My Coin: 1879-CC $10 gold XF Details Rev. Scratched

Mintage of 1762 with 39 survivors, 11 in XF

FMV without Details $28,500

Stacks : 1893-CC S$1 Morgan MS 64 NO DETAILS

Mintage 677,000 with 3815 survivors, 207 in 64

FMV as graded (no details) $23,500

My 1879 CC has fewer scratches, less noticeable and on the reverse; Graded Details

The 1893 CC has more scratches, Deeper scratches, very noticeable NO Details.

Keep in mind the silver Morgan is a much bigger coin than mine with s [/img] ofter metal.

Could some one with skills explain this to me?

150131.jpeg.a59bfd5c349df57f8a8f0d1651e882dc.jpeg

When I think of a coin in an XF-40 (details - scratched) slab, I think of a coin that has had a sharp metal object manually applied to it; that is, deliberate man-made scratches.

When I think of a coin in an MS-64 (no problems) slab, I think of a coin that might have "bag marks" from other coins bumping into it, resulting in luster breaks or light indentations in the coin.

Unfortunately, if you haven't seen the coin in person, you really can't judge the severity of bag marks on an uncirculated coin, because the way the coin has been photographed (tilting the coin, lighting the coin, etc.) can either hide or over-emphasize any marks.