• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How frequently do you "take a break" from coins?

7 posts in this topic

Most of us experience ups and downs in our interests. Do you take regular breaks from coin collecting or do you follow an even course?

When my collecting interests become stagnant or there does not seem to be any particular item I am looking for or finding I usually switch back over to Antique (pre 1920) Pocket Watches.

When things are really down, I start spending money on my wife. ;)

I stay the even course. When I am broke or I have money and there just isn't anything available of interest, there are always books,reading, or reexamination of coins I already have.

For most of my life, not very often.

The longest break I took was in the late 1970s when I quit my job and went back for an MBA full time. The job I had was going nowhere, and I hated it. It seemed like one had to have an MBA to get anywhere, so I bit the bullet and got it.

During that period I dropped my subscription to the Gray Sheet and didn't buy a single coin. I didn't even do any numismatic research. All I did was take 24 credits a semester and study. I completed the four semester program in three. Then I got a new job that was far better, and got back into coins. :banana: