• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star or plus designation on PL question

8 posts in this topic

How do NGC and PCGS determined the star or plus on proof-like Morgan Dollars? I know that it needs to show the eye appeal on Morgan, it's easier to notice it on non-PL Morgan, but how to tell if PL Morgan deserved to have a star or plus designation? I have several PL and DPL in my collection, but I just want to learn more about how the grading service determined the star and plus on PL coins. I just add 1878-S MS65 * PL to my Morgan collection today.

1878SMS65PL_zpsd36a9ee0.jpg

1878SMS65PLObv_zps8e066e2c.jpg

1878SMS65PLRev_zpsef2869ac.jpg

The way you ask the question leads me to believe that you think the PLUS and STAR are similar designations. You can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the STAR designation and the PLUS designation are directly comparable.

The STAR is NGC's way of saying the coin has a lot of eye appeal.

The PLUS is for coins in the higher end of the grade (for both PCGS and NGC). Although, I'm sure eye appeal is part of the equation for the PLUS designation I don't think the STAR designation really has anything to do with the grade of the coin, does it?

jom

Stars, pluses and related implications of objective measurement are bologna -- that is how they are related.

Get some nice crusty bread, a slice of cheese and add the bologna. Maybe a schemer of mustard -- enjoy the hobby while you enjoy your sandwich..... ;)

The star could be for a just miss DPL or above average mirrors. It could also be because of cameo contrasts. The plus designation is for high end for the grade pieces (top 20%).

Nice coin. I have a soft spot for PL coinage. ;)

The PLUS is for coins in the higher end of the grade (for both PCGS and NGC). Although, I'm sure eye appeal is part of the equation for the PLUS designation I don't think the STAR designation really has anything to do with the grade of the coin, does it?

jom

On NGC FAQ stated that, "coins receiving a plus designation must have above-average eye appeal." I am confusing.. a coin that has a eye appeal will receive a star designation, and if a coin has above average eye appeal will receive a plus designation... Why not bring it up to the next grade level instead of give it a plus designation? I don't get it.

As for a star on non-PL Morgan, I think I can understand that, it is possible that a coin may be a proof-like, but not strong enough to get a PL designation (such as proof-like field on obverse and no proof-like on reverse).

The plus is given when a coin is close to achieving the next technical grade. The star is given for eye appeal - attractive toning, proof coins just missing Cameo, UCam etc.

Looks like NGC didn't feel that a grade of MS65PL did this coin justice. The star was not given for toning - so your coin likely just misses a DPL designation.

Aldditionally, NGC didn't feel this coin was a 66 and therefore will not grade it as such. Remember technical grade and designations are two completely different considerations.

Nice pick up (thumbs u

On NGC FAQ stated that, "coins receiving a plus designation must have above-average eye appeal." I am confusing.. a coin that has a eye appeal will receive a star designation, and if a coin has above average eye appeal will receive a plus designation..

You misunderstand.

It must have superior eye appeal to receive the plus designation, but is also has to have the higher end grading qualities. Just having the superior eye appeal isn't enough gain the plus but it can get it the star.