• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leading coin graders

13 posts in this topic

Who have been the best or leading coin graders since the grading services started in the 1980s and how would they be ranked?

Mark Salzburg; John Albanese; David Hall, John Dannruether, Miles Standish, Julian Leidman, John Love, Mike Fuhljenz, Bruce Amspacher, Steve Cyrkin, John Dannreuther, Silvano DiGenova

Van Simmons, Gordon Wrubel, Jim Halperin, Ron Howard, Charlie Browne, Warren Mills, Michael Fahey, Tim Hargis, Randy Campbell, Skip Fazzari.

Who have been the best or leading coin graders since the grading services started in the 1980s and how would they be ranked?

Mark Salzburg; John Albanese; David Hall, John Dannruether, Miles Standish, Julian Leidman, John Love, Mike Fuhljenz, Bruce Amspacher, Steve Cyrkin, John Dannreuther, Silvano DiGenova

Van Simmons, Gordon Wrubel, Jim Halperin, Ron Howard, Charlie Browne, Michael Fahey, Tim Hargis, Randy Campbell, Skip Fazzari.

In my opinion, there are many names missing from the list. I also think best and or leading would be impossible to rank. I also don't necessarily think some names on the list are the best or leading.

Mark Salzburg (as I understand it) has personally graded over a million coins. Every coin I've ever shown him he's either graded exactly as the grading room did or 1 point lower. Given that I expect him to be conservative, that's understandable.

I think that amount of experience has to put him in the top 2 or 3.

I'd bet there are unknown graders working today that are even better, but I don't know that as a fact.

What would be reasonable criteria for ranking the quality of the coin graders? Visual acuity, comprehensive memory of how any given coin fits into the curve of grading, strict vs. pragmatic grading judgments taking all factors into consideration not just what the grading company's business manager dictates for where they will draw the line on grades, evolving judgments on striking characteristics and what constitutes "wear" vs. cabinet friction?

Is it healthy for graders to re-enter the business of buying and selling coins and then go back to work for grading services? Is length of time as a grader an advantage in terms of increasing excellence in the field, or does the burn out factor cut into long-term ability?

What would be reasonable criteria for ranking the quality of the coin graders? Visual acuity, comprehensive memory of how any given coin fits into the curve of grading, strict vs. pragmatic grading judgments taking all factors into consideration not just what the grading company's business manager dictates for where they will draw the line on grades, evolving judgments on striking characteristics and what constitutes "wear" vs. cabinet friction?

Is it healthy for graders to re-enter the business of buying and selling coins and then go back to work for grading services? Is length of time as a grader an advantage in terms of increasing excellence in the field, or does the burn out factor cut into long-term ability?

As to the first paragraph, is the end point technical grading, or is it MA grading?

As to the second paragraph, first sentence, yes if the end point is MA grading.

The second sentence requires an answer to the intent of the first paragraph, I think.

Good points, could a top notch grader keep grading by their standards vs. the "market acceptable" standards according to the perspective of a company that they disagree with? I would think the finalizer would take all the individual graders' grades into consideration and then the final quality control people could pull coins they believe do not fit their company's standards.

Good points, could a top notch grader keep grading by their standards vs. the "market acceptable" standards according to the perspective of a company that they disagree with? I would think the finalizer would take all the individual graders' grades into consideration and then the final quality control people could pull coins they believe do not fit their company's standards.

No. To do so relinquishes the top notch reputation.

currently

in no particular order

ryan carroll chief grader senior numismatist www.ha.com

john albanese www.caccoin.com

JH at www.ha.com

many others who will remain nameless and just as good

Julian Leidman would NOT make my list. The majority of his coins on eBay are self-proclaimed undergraded (many in details holders), and many are self-proclaimed supposed proofs. He is on the PCGS board of experts, but I haven't ever been too impressed.

I think Mark Salzberg would be #1 in my book. I don't know of anyone with that resume and depth of experience -- not even the hallowed JA touches him in my opinion.

Van Simmons, Gordon Wrubel, Jim Halperin, Ron Howard, Charlie Browne,

Warren Mills, Michael Fahey, Tim Hargis, Randy Campbell, Skip Fazzari.

A few comments:

It's Mark Salzberg, not Mark Salzburg

John Dannruether is extremely talented, but perhaps not enough so to be included twice on the same list.

With no disrespect, whatsoever, intended, I do not consider Van Simmons a "coin grader". Ditto for Julian Leidman.

And here are some names which I would include on such a list:

Jeff Isaac - another former NGC grader with whom I worked

Bill Shamhart - also a former NGC grader (and current CAC grader) with whom I worked.

Martin Paul, Brian Hendelson and Dan Ratner, each incredibly talented wholesalers

Ryan Carroll of Heritage Auctions