• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The October Issue of The Numismatist is out!

9 posts in this topic

I'm delighted to say that the October Issuer of The Numismatist contains my article discussing what happened to "Silver Coins During the Fractional Currency Era".

The article focuses on how the Gorham Manufacturing Company obtained the silver to make its flatware and other silver tableware in 1868 and, in passing, discusses how silver coins disappeared at the beginning of the Civil War and where they went. The article also includes a portion of a report from the US Consul in Bermuda, who mentions that a lot of silver coins (most from the New Orleans Mint) "appeared" in Bermuda during the Civil War - presumably brought there by Confederate blockade runners who used the silver to buy goods for the South.

The article is a slightly enlarged version of the article that was published in the March 2009 issue of The Gobrecht Journal.

By the way, this month's issue of The Numismatist also includes an article on Nellie Tayloe Ross by Samuel Ernst, who goes by "notlogical" ATS.

Recommended reading!

Also, the Ross article is good and a nice background to the JNR edition published earlier this year on the "Women Who Ran the Mint."

I have been unable to get the Numismatist to work on my Mac. Trying to click to the next page does nothing. I am stuck on the cover. Previous issues are the same problem.

Personally, I like to download the PDF version because it's easier to read (and print selected pages).

To download the PDF, click on the "down pointing arrow" button - it's below the "printer" button in the column of seven buttons on the right-hand side of the screen.

The next button below the PDF button is the "Help" button - it's the question mark.

Other than that, I'd suggest sending the ANA an e-mail to see what they recommend for mac users.