• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Method to Open a 1990 Proof Set?

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1990 proof set that I want to open to have the cent graded and wanted recommendations on how to open the set without damaging the cent. Is there an easy way to do this, I once opened some 1979 proof sets and it was a really difficult job.

I would just send in the complete set for grading, but the nickel has some pretty large marks on it.

Thanks,

Charlie

You should be able to stick a dull knife blade along the seam and just pop the set case open. From there just bend the corner of the inner case and you can grab the cent or any other coin you want.

'79 proof sets are much harder than 1990's. There are several methods which work well, but my favorite is to place the set between my feet, place an awl to the right of center, and slamming the awl with my hand. Be sure it goes straight down or you might mark a coin. Wear eye protection.

Perhaps for a single set GMarguli's method might be much easier. For large numbers of sets some use an anvil and a slotted 2 X 4 to twist them open.

You can use a band saw or dremel tool to safely cut the edges away without coming near any coin. Be sure to wear safety glasses, though!

Chris