• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the VAM guys......

4 posts in this topic

While looking up the VAM # for my new 1935 Peace Dollar I went through some of the older coins of my collection, and noticed that my 1934 VAM 1A is now listed in the "Elite 30" listing. I know this is a pretty new listing (book), but is there any real significance to it being in the 30 list?

1934VAM1A_zps2613bb86.jpg

Nope. Just a slightly interesting die variety. There are a lot of interesting, readily visible Morgan and Peace dollar varieties. Many are among the "VAM" lists and some are not. Collect what you like, not what is on a list.

The "Elite 30" list is a second list of interesting Peace dollar VAMs, which doesn't necessary mean rare or valuable. Coins were included because the people making the list liked them. If you like the coins on the list, collect the list. If you don't, then don't. This one is interesting in that it has a circular die scratch in a configuration that comes close to the most common type of die crack seen on Peace dollars. The original reasoning behind having a short list of VAMs was to focus people on a much more manageable list (the Top 100 Morgans) of interesting or rare coins rather than just pointing to 3000 entries in the VAM book, most of which are unremarkable.

Thanks guys!!! I basically use the listings for self authentication of most of my raw Dollars. Although I do check my certified ones too. Just a little added info for any Dollar in my collection. Thanks again!! :grin: