• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Economy Faster than PCGS Modern Grading...

7 posts in this topic

Submitted coins to both NGC and PCGS on the same day at LB.

NGC got the pre-1964 toners and PCGS got the modern toners.

NGC grades finalized today under Economy!

Submitted 09/09 Finalized 09/22 -- 10 business days ! WOW

Now thats what I call excellent service.

All of the coins except for the 1909 MS66RD Lincoln are toners... all were bought raw. The most expensive was one of the 34-D Buffs - I paid $125. Jom & Dennis King both thought this coin was AT when they looked at it before I dropped it off. Kinda happy I didnt listen to them. (worship)

I didnt pay huge premiums for any of the coins. The 1937 Buff was $10 and wildly toned. I hand picked it from the same album as the 37-S and 37-D that graded. I had the 1913 Buff Type 2 and the 1939-D WLH for years so I properly bought them while I was still learning though I couldnt see either one being cleaned.

Overall Im pretty happy that 10 out of 13 graded with no AT details grades.

results.jpg

I would say those are some phenomenal results, and that they speak volumes about your eye.

I also must admit that I think you are pretty brave... I usually send a toner here and there with a batch, versus sending a batch of all toners.... (although, in a perfect world, that really shouldn't make a difference, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't). I just know that to me, you are brave to send a batch of toners together like that, good for you, and congrats on your success.

Glad to hear NGC is turning things around quickly. Now all I need to do is pack my submissions with fu-fu dust so the Graders settle on everything I send them being MS 66.

Just think, MS 66......................concentrate...........MS 66.............

I spoke with a PCGS club member who dropped off both regular and economy submissions at Long Beach and nary a peep out of them yet. He doesn't expect results this week either.

In my experience PCGS express = NGC early bird, etc..

I would say those are some phenomenal results, and that they speak volumes about your eye.

I also must admit that I think you are pretty brave... I usually send a toner here and there with a batch, versus sending a batch of all toners.... (although, in a perfect world, that really shouldn't make a difference, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't). I just know that to me, you are brave to send a batch of toners together like that, good for you, and congrats on your success.

Thank you. Your comments are much appreciated.

It is a gamble though. You are correct I am sometimes hurt by submitting all toned coins together. If there is a coin or two that the graders are very uncomfortable with then I have had submissions that have all been bodybagged (in the old days they didnt detail grade they just sent the coin back in a bag). Recently, on a modern submission I went 0 for 13. I then submitted the same coins to PCGS and all graded. None were wildly toned but you can never fully comprehend what happens in the mind of a grader.

Over 15 years though I have trained my eye (hopefully) to pick out coins that are NT or at least MA. This is why I think buying raw toners and submitting them is the only way to truly learn. And its a great way to immediately have value in your coins. Buy attractive raw toners without a mark up and get them graded - instant equity.

I spoke with a PCGS club member who dropped off both regular and economy submissions at Long Beach and nary a peep out of them yet. He doesn't expect results this week either.

In my experience PCGS express = NGC early bird, etc..

Ive never used PCGS's Express service. The last modern submission I had at PCGS graded in 14 calendar days and there was a 4 day holiday in the middle so they did pretty fast work. Now their Modern tier is at 20 business days. So I assume that by I should have grades by the middle of October.