• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's with this Morgan?

11 posts in this topic

When I purchased this coin from an internet auction, the coin looked dark, but with different cameras, monitors, etc. it is sometimes hard to tell the true color.

Here is a pic of the coin I purchased (on the right), next to a regular Morgan.

morgans.jpg

I tested the specific gravity using this method...

- weigh dry coin = 25.70g

- place container of water on scale and set tare to "0"

- completely submerged the coin tied with string into the water ...weight = 2.5g

- divide the dry weight by the submerged weight ... I get 10.28

If I did this wrong please let me what to correct so I can get an accurate specific gravity.

The coin passed all the other "silver tests" I know. The ice cube, magnet, sound...but the coin is 1g light and SG should be 10.34 and it is 10.28.

I so want this to be genuine. What do y'all think?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edited - initially I said the coin I purchased was the one on the left - but the coin I purchased is the one on the right. Sorry

The one you purchased looks genuine and not particularly unusual. It appears to be a very lightly toned AU example. It looks much closer to what a freshly minted Morgan Dollar looks like than the other coin does.

The comparison coin is heavily circulated, well worn, possibly/probably cleaned and a different hue.

Yep:

"The ... coin is heavily circulated, well worn, possibly/probably cleaned and a different hue."

Circulated and dirty.

I do not see any reason to doubt the genuineness of the coin on the right. It is just an old, well circulated, "crusty" Morgan dollar.

The one on the left might be called "improperly cleaned." I think it is genuine, but it has a look that some counterfeits from China have.

The coin on the right was taken with a different color balance than the one on the left -- a glance at the shadows will show the differences.

I am so sorry the coin I purchased is on the right.

Heavily circulated coins have probably passed through many, many hands. There are any number of factors which could cause it to turn dark.

Chris

Judging the two the one on the right is "crusty" and probably has a few more germs on it. The one on the left is either a scan that just doesn't show any luster (and it should) or............it's been cleaned.

Of the two, the one on the left is the worry.