• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess The Grade 1881 O Morgan

12 posts in this topic

Hello forum its a beautiful Friday and hopefully everyone has a nice Friday. I got you guys a coin to guess on. I tried to capture the coin differently so maybe that will help but comment.

96hWuKQ.png

xwSqLAc.png

No, those pictures are not good. The top is overlit, the bottom is not lit at all, the coin is oddly tilted and the whole thing is out of focus. Not trying to be mean - just pointing out things to work on.

That coin could be somewhere between 62 and 65pl

The coin looks to have a cleaned or polished appearance, but I'm guessing that is due to the imaging.

Again, the images don't allow for a good/accurate view of the coin, but I'll guess MS64.

Hey Curry, you are probably getting annoyed with my "details" guesses on your coins....

That said, out of all the times I have said that, I would say this coin here looks like it has been polished, or cleaned, more so than any others....

Now, if Im wrong again, I would say it just must be the overall look I am seeing on the coins based on your photos... I understand that is very possible here.

To me though, the coin looks like it has that over all look of a polished silver coin.

Yeah, I just looked again, so I could take a shot at a guess on grade just in case it isn't a details coin.... But I am fairly confident it is trouble.... send me a PM and let me know what the deal is... I hate waiting a week for the answer.

Keep em coming...

Curry, this thread was started just over a month ago so I am curious at what you determined and if you sent it in for grading (assuming it was raw) what the verdict might have been.

I didnt get to send it in yet. Ill get it sent in in maybe 2 weeks. I missed a small scratch that is visible in certain angles so i dont know if it will be marked automatically for scratches but hopefully it wont.

I didnt get to send it in yet. Ill get it sent in in maybe 2 weeks. I missed a small scratch that is visible in certain angles so i dont know if it will be marked automatically for scratches but hopefully it wont.

OK. Thanks for the update.

I don't think you need worry about a "small scratch" being an impediment to a details free grade. A scratch has to be something very deep (relative) and such an eyesore that they will not feel comfortable assigning it a straight grade, in my experience.

Mark or someone else can either confirm that to be the case or challenge the veracity.

I still feel, that from those pictures you presented, you are in possession of a polished Morgan. I hope I am wrong. If the pictures are not presenting the coin accurately, and are giving it a 'polished look' undeservedly, then that coin has some very clean fields and devices, (I really don't see any marks at all to speak of) a grade of MS65 would be a minimum in my opinion.