• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theodore Roosevelt 100% American Medal Question

13 posts in this topic

I posted the same picture in the Most Recent Acquisition thread but I am sure that thread does not get nearly as much traffic from those who might know a little about this piece.

I have searched multiple times on Google and each time I only come up with one other instance of a question about this exact medal (actually it looks like the same one to me, not just the same type) on cointalk and one picture in Google pictures, as of this writing.

He died on January 6th 1919 and this medal is dated February 22nd 1919 and recognizes his earlier position from 1895 - 1897 as the Police Commissioner of the City of New York Police Department.

I was hoping either someone could point out a source that I might have overlooked that could help me ID this medal, or possibly someone might be familiar with it, it's mintage, who created it, etc...

I believe, based on the color it is copper. 13.7 grams and about the size of a half dollar, maybe a bit larger.

1897_Theodore_Roosevelt_PoliceDepartment_CityofNewYork.jpg

Thanks

Thanks RWB - Seems to be a very informative website if I currently am / or ever have ever been a NYPD officer looking for benefit pertaining to pension or health insurance.

I will look for the link to contact the historian you reference.

I guess everyone threw them away. So far, on this huge virtual workspace we call the Internet, I have found two.

Coin Talk .... with virtually no information other than this example that was sold in 2012.

I don't doubt there were thousands made .... I just can't imagine where they are all at and why so little information exists that references the piece.

I find that strange but others probably do not. (shrug)

I meant that there were thousands of different medals featuring TR.

The NYPD organization likely had hundreds made and gave them to members, or sold them to raise money for the pension/health fund.

Oh. I misunderstood you. I do know what you mean by thousands of different kinds of medals, coins, etc.... for one of the most popular Presidents in history.

I like to collect Theodore Roosevelt medals when I consider them to be very appealing, and I found this one to be such, however I could find no information on it. Bought it anyway. Was not much money.

Thanks Roger.

TRPoliceO_zpsa4cb6da1.jpgTRPoliceR_zpse1bc5151.jpg

I have one of these piece too. I have a vague recollection of finding an old newspaper reproduction with Google where these pieces were handed out at a dinner that was held at the Waldorf, but I don't have the time to trace it at the moment.

I have one of these piece too. I have a vague recollection of finding an old newspaper reproduction with Google where these pieces were handed out at a dinner that was held at the Waldorf, but I don't have the time to trace it at the moment.

Well that would explain why they are not selling them on every street corner in eBayville ... Doubtful there were many attendees/guests, and even if there were more than I would imagine, they probably gave the medals little concern.

I will search based on that info you gave me and see what I can come up with. Nice example btw...

Thanks

I paid about $75 retail for the nice example I posted. That's about all I know about the value. It's not an expensive item, and it's not that rare as tokens and medals. go. If it were coin, it would be quite scarce because more collectors collect coins that tokens and medals.

I just found one of these in a large collection I inherited from my uncle who served in WWI and WWII, retiring from air force as Lt Col. I am interested to know if you have found any other information on this piece, including values.

HERE is a small article I wrote describing what I had learned about the piece. It was slated for the December issue of the Numismatist in the News and Notes section, however I did not like the final draft and they said they would clean it up to my liking and schedule for the January issue.

To summarize the key points; it seems to have not been a uni-face medal as I had initially thought and turned out to be a small 'medallion' made for the purpose of inserting into the stock of a commemorative Winchester rifle.

The value is whatever you feel it is worth. Bill paid $75,00 for his and I paid a good bit less, however his looks to be a much better example than the one I acquired. It is an interesting piece none the less if you are interested in Theodore Roosevelt, imo.

Whoops!

I got mixed up on that medal and the other one that I was trying to find more info on and responded above with the other one in mind.

I was never able to find any mintage figures, number of attendees at the ball, or anything to help me learn more about this particular piece.

I took Roger's advice and contacted the Lieutenants Benevolent Association and asked about the piece and I received a response that said they had no idea and I was on my own.

I have searched for any article in a news paper about the event, as Bill had suggested he ran across at one time, but I was once again not able to come up with anything that listed the number of attendees, mintage, etc..

I contacted the Thodore Roosevelt Association and once again it was a dead end. They too seemed to have no knowledge of the medal and as the previously mentioned, they said I was on my own.

I too would still be curious to find out the exact number minted and handed out. Eventually I will continue my search but for now I have been sick for a while and am finally starting to feel a bit better. Maybe I can get back on that soon.