• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piffle

23 posts in this topic

I remember reading in one of my books, and I can't remember the author, about these no mint mark coins and how they were "wantonly destroyed."

The coin was lightly impaired from being mishandled, though like the man in Monty Python's "Holy Grail" who had been turned into a newt, it has apparently gotten better.

Didn't you know that coins are "living things" and that they can repair themselves over time? ;) The coin is now a PR-66, CAM.

The same thing happened to the coins in the King of Siam Proof set which all got better by one grading point when they were moved from one slab brand to another.

I have a 1976 silver dollar, not clad. It has no mint mark and is uncirculated, not proof. It only weighs 22.7 grams. I suspect it has been silver plated, but am not sure. If it was silver plated would it weigh more than a clad dollar? I don't know. Any thoughts

I have a 1976 silver dollar, not clad. It has no mint mark and is uncirculated, not proof. It only weighs 22.7 grams. I suspect it has been silver plated, but am not sure. If it was silver plated would it weigh more than a clad dollar? I don't know. Any thoughts

A silver plating adds very little weight. The weight proves that your coin is the normal clad composition.

I have a silver bicentennial quarter dated 1975. It has no mint mark. Is it worth anything? I found it at a flea market for 50-cents in a jar of bicentennial quarters. It was the only one in the jar and I bet I can put it on ebay and sell it for a lot of money. Is it a proof? How do you know?

Here's a photo. It's not very good because I took it with my Sausage McMuffin sandwich.

1975bicentquarter_zpsf83c886d.jpg

Thank you.

I have a silver bicentennial quarter dated 1975. It has no mint mark. Is it worth anything? I found it at a flea market for 50-cents in a jar of bicentennial quarters. It was the only one in the jar and I bet I can put it on ebay and sell it for a lot of money. Is it a proof? How do you know?

Here's a photo. It's not very good because I took it with my Sausage McMuffin sandwich.

Thank you.

It looks like a counterfeit to me. ;)

It will be interesting to see the CFR comments on the HPA. I hope you did comment.

No....Maybe that bicentennial quarter with no "S" is fake.

Mine is real. It says so on the coin: "United States of America" and "Quarter Dollar." It says on the internet that all fakes and stuff have to have "COPY" on them.....this one is real and you people are trying to cheat me! OK. im a total Newby and just asking a good question -- this coin is the REAL THING!

Well, I'm smrter then them and im going to sell it for a lot of money and pay the morgage, and buy a new Mustang.

The Mustang is a car..... not a mint.

My quarter is a US Mint legal coin....says so on it.

Never mind -- I'll go sell it for a ton of money -- bet it's a lot rarer than some "no S" thing.....!

Isn't this piece one of those Carr creations? I know he made one with excuse that you can't counterfeit a coin that does not exit. It's flimsy argument IMO.

In my opinion, it is a legally baseless argument if you read that statutory and administrative authorities that Mark Feld, myself, and others discussed in the last thread on his works. By calling it "flimsy" you are giving him far too much credit. Anything in similitude of design or inscription counts. I also don't buy the "virgin" planchet argument.

Isn't this piece one of those Carr creations? I know he made one with excuse that you can't counterfeit a coin that does not exit. It's flimsy argument IMO.

In my opinion, it is a legally baseless argument if you read that statutory and administrative authorities that Mark Feld, myself, and others discussed in the last thread on his works. By calling it "flimsy" you are giving him far too much credit. Anything in similitude of design or inscription counts. I also don't buy the "virgin" planchet argument.

I agree with you. The Secret Service should knocking on Carr's door. The trouble is I've been told to go to :devil: ATS when I spoke out against Carr products, so I was trying not to stir wasters here.

Thank you.

It is easy to identify that your quarter is fake when compared to the REAL 1975 Quarter. ;)

1975_Washington_Quarter_Dollar_DC.jpg

No....Maybe that bicentennial quarter with no "S" is fake.

Mine is real. It says so on the coin: "United States of America" and "Quarter Dollar." It says on the internet that all fakes and stuff have to have "COPY" on them.....this one is real and you people are trying to cheat me! OK. im a total Newby and just asking a good question -- this coin is the REAL THING!

Well, I'm smrter then them and im going to sell it for a lot of money and pay the morgage, and buy a new Mustang.

Roger, how do we know that you didn't just take photos of two separate coins.

In any case, I'm sure there would be plenty of bidiots on SleazeBay who would go for it.

Chris

I'm sure there would be plenty of bidiots on SleazeBay who would go for it.

Chris

"bidiots"..... ha ha ha lol..... I am definitely going to have to use that one....lol.

Thank you.

happy meal saved the day, woo hoooo

My Sausage McMuffin sandwich took photos of both sides at once. Works great except for a little pasteurized process cheese food gunk stuck to the coin. My dog licked it off quickly.

I'm sure there would be plenty of bidiots on SleazeBay who would go for it.

Chris

"bidiots"..... ha ha ha lol..... I am definitely going to have to use that one....lol.

I started using that term on these forums about 8-9 years ago because the program, here, would "bleep" certain offensive terms like "insufficiently_thoughtful_person".

Chris

Yep! It still does.