• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions on the proper design elements for a Coin and Medal Cabinet.

43 posts in this topic

I appreciate the compliments and I think it will work out fine once I get him to cut me out some proper shelving. Got to get the first shelf up off that cabinet. I am having a hard time finding a place for a lot of the stuff that came out of there without the extra shelving.

Zebo - Yes sir ... .45 ACP in the safe and a 9mm next to my bed. All loaded with +P ammo. ;)

I have a number of coins in albums right now but they don't seem to be doing much. Maybe I have to much silica in the safe.

That would do it. As I have said before, the toning reaction requires water to proceed. Lots of silica means low humidity and greatly slowed down toning.

But even then you run the risk of government confiscation (as happened in the past).

As far as I know the US government has never confiscated the contents of a SDB without reason of criminal activity. States have opened and sold the contents of boxes with ownership that has gone dormant. How long they have to be dormant with no activity varies from state to state.

As far as I know the US government has never confiscated the contents of a SDB without reason of criminal activity. States have opened and sold the contents of boxes with ownership that has gone dormant. How long they have to be dormant with no activity varies from state to state.

Not to include the 'Hoax' at one time of a supposed Executive Order directing agents to raid actual SDB's, it actually did happen in a roundabout way (imo). I can cite Frederick Campbell who went to Chase National bank to retrieve his 5,000 +/- ounces of gold and was refused. He sued Chase, was indicted by the US Government. In the end, the US Government confiscated his gold. To me a bank is no more than one large Safe Deposit Box.

Also during that time,in the 1930's, the government gained control of many SDB's after the banks failed. There were nearly 3,000 bank failures during the 30's and the US Treasury Department transferred the contents of what was in the SDB's into cardboard boxes for the owners to eventually claim. I would doubt that a Treasury agent, opening a SDB that had gold in it, would then place that gold into the cardboard box for the rightful owner to come and get. I could be wrong on that and maybe they would have.

Point is that the banks failure placed the contents of that SDB in the hands of the US Government. I wonder if there would ever come a time of bank failures again after a future administration or congress placed limitation on owning gold or silver?

Probably not ..... but you can never be certain.

Really like your cabinet and respect your desire to fondle your coins directly :grin:

Are you worried about "cabinet friction" wear on your coins?

Fondle ... Hahahaha! I saw a video interview with Warren Buffett the other day when he was speaking about having all the gold in the world and he could "fondle" it. Imagine Buffett fondling anything. :eek:

Hey ... OK, back to reality. Yes it has been a contemplated concern. However, the safe, nor the cabinet are going to be moved for quite a long time, and that is only if I were to build another house on my land.

The drawers will slide all the way out (smoothly since they are on wood strip runners) and at anytime I wish to check out a particular coin or related collection in one drawer I can just remove the drawer carefully and set it on the desk.

The drawers do not slide in and out so fast that everything inside moves around, unless maybe ... I screw up and try and view the coins and medals while drunk off my arse. lol

I have very unique views on the TPG system anyway and that is (as crazy as it sounds) they are eventually going to be shooting themselves in the foot since all modern coins are either a 70 (and wirth a great amount of money) or a 69 (and not worth diddly). Look at the price discrepancies between modern coins in the 70 and 69 grades. I, for one, am not going to base my coin collecting enjoyment on chasing the elusive 70's. I think eventually others will wake up and realize this.

As far as medals and vintage coins go ..... I am willing to risk the one point difference on a coin that has a finite number of pieces available (since I will not be submitting them anyway), and to that end, I am no longer bound by the restrictive requirement of having a 'problem free' rare coin. I have seen many coins that a TPG will call questionable color, or improperly cleaned that are extremely beautiful examples. I can purchase that coin now and not worry about current or future value based solely on a plastic holder. If it is attractive, has the eye appeal, and I like it - I can buy it... discounted.

Finally, my decisions to want to sell a piece in my collection will be minimized, since, no one else thinks like me, and believes if a coin is not in a holder it HAS to be a problem coin.

I feel as though I have been set free from bondage. :grin:

I appreciate the compliments and I think it will work out fine once I get him to cut me out some proper shelving. Got to get the first shelf up off that cabinet. I am having a hard time finding a place for a lot of the stuff that came out of there without the extra shelving.

Zebo - Yes sir ... .45 ACP in the safe and a 9mm next to my bed. All loaded with +P ammo. ;)

Love the coin cabinet. Neat project and very nice results. However, I must object to your first choice in home defense firearms. A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with OO vital shock ammo is a better choice for those situations where precise aiming may be difficult. The shotgun gives you a much greater margin of error when under the stress of defending your home and valuables. :grin:

Carl

Carl you are 100% correct. I have said it for years; want a good home defense weapon, get a shotgun.

I have one. It is in another gun safe. To big to fit in a drawer, as well as I have never bought one of those biometric gun safes for a shotgun. Do they make them? hm

I have three grandkids that come over often so this is what I use next to the bed. Works good. I quit leaving a shotgun standing upright in the corner years ago. ;)

download.png

Very nice Bill!! About makes me want to break out my saws and tools.

Bobby, for some reason I was thinking that you collected mainly raw coins and just the occasional slabbed purchase. Speaking of which, that latest $2.50 Indian is a 63 everyday of the week, so ... the plastic lies anyway! lol

Very nice Bill!! About makes me want to break out my saws and tools.

Bobby, for some reason I was thinking that you collected mainly raw coins and just the occasional slabbed purchase. Speaking of which, that latest $2.50 Indian is a 63 everyday of the week, so ... the plastic lies anyway! lol

I do prefer raw Bill! But I do have quite few slabs also. I told my wife that I have got to build me a cabinet. Yours may have just put some inspiration in me. I've built quite a few wood projects in the past, another hobby that I really enjoy. And I also think that indian should be in a 63. I may resubmit it in the future. Beautiful cabinet Bill!