• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions on the proper design elements for a Coin and Medal Cabinet.

43 posts in this topic

I asked my lifelong friend (who just happens to be a master cabinet maker) to make me a nice Coin and Medal Cabinet and this morning we had breakfast and looked over various examples and tried to incorporate the best from all.

My main question has to do with the 'old timers' that kept their coins in cabinets. I take it they just had the coin or medal lying flat on a felt bottom or perhaps there were better materials to use than felt that I am not aware of?

If the felt was the material used primarily, would the condition I describe above be the environment that would lead to the eventual 'cabinet toned' coins I see referenced often when describing old collections?

Thanks in advance.

I believe they absolutely would tone, if you just laid the coins on the felt exposed to air.... for sure.

If you put them in a safflip in the cabinet, I think they wouldn't...

I believe they absolutely would tone, if you just laid the coins on the felt exposed to air.... for sure.

I believe there may be a need for clarification of what I was asking.

I do want coins and medals to tone naturally but in the vein of the toning you would see below. I am under the impression that many of the coins in some of the greatest collections, that toned similar to below, were coins that were stored for many years in coin and medal cabinets with felt as the underlying material.

Would these be indicative of coins toned over time by being stored in a cabinet?

2zefczn.jpg

2748714286_c65880b95b_m.jpg

1796_newman_25c.jpg

bust_dime_halfdime_ha.jpg

2n8c57c.jpg

Half-Disme-1.jpg

I think you get the idea of what type of toning I am speaking of and maybe it is all album toning, but once again, I was under the impression that people like Newman kept coins in coin cabinets.

Thanks.

I think you get the idea of what type of toning I am speaking of and maybe it is all album toning, but once again, I was under the impression that people like Newman kept coins in coin cabinets.

Thanks.

Most of the toning in Newman's collection is attributed to the paper envelopes in which his coins were stored. Many of the older paper envelopes contain some sulphur...

What type of wood are you using?

Mahogany - the real stuff and not fiberboard or plywood. Although the drawers box frame will be birch with a Mahogany front.

He could have a nice cottage business here if he kept his prices reasonable.

My uncle was a cabinet maker and I tried to convince him to dust off his apron and make some coin cabinets. Unfortunately when he retired he sold off most of the needed equipment. When I told him how much they sold for he almost drove off to HomeDepot to buy new tools. lol

With these last few responses, I all the sudden feel like I am missing out on something.... Would someone please post a pic of what exactly you all are talking about. I do not think I have ever seen one of these classic coin cabinets you are talking about.

Thanks.

Although not a "true" coin cabinet, I've kept my collection in a machinist's chest since around the late 80s. I have coins (both silver and copper) that look the same way they did when I put them in back then. However, I've always had my coins in either plastic snap lock holders or 2X2 flips.

Not sure if this fits the bill but this is actually 2 coin cabinets I have.

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

I believe they were some of the old franklin mint collections that came full of coins or you filled with your monthly subscription.

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

Sooo Beautiful !

I really wish someone would set up a service to make these for the inside of safes. Basically you give the cabinet maker the inside dimensions of your safe and he makes you a cabinet that will fit inside the entire space.

Most safes are not made for coin collecting. Try finding a decent size, weight and fire rating safe with shelves. Its almost impossible. The bigger safes are usually gun safes.

I really wish someone would set up a service to make these for the inside of safes. Basically you give the cabinet maker the inside dimensions of your safe and he makes you a cabinet that will fit inside the entire space.

Most safes are not made for coin collecting. Try finding a decent size, weight and fire rating safe with shelves. Its almost impossible. The bigger safes are usually gun safes.

Nice coin and medal cabinet you have there mtnstyne. Mine will not be as tall, have legs, and will only contain drawers (no doors).

TonerGuy; Funny you should mention the safe aspect since that was my intention by getting with him rather than buying something over the Internet. The opening I can wiggle a cabinet into my safe is just under 12" (without having to disassemble the existing shelving) so I made sure to have him make the depth overall no greater than about 11 3/4".

He must have needed the work since he got on it so fast. He sent me phone pictures today of the progress so far. It looks to be on the finishing leg and maybe I can pick it up on Saturday or Sunday. I will make sure to post the pictures of the finished product.

As I mentioned earlier, there will be no doors on this one and I decided to go with one solid locking brace (piece of wood) running upright to keep the drawers from opening if ever moved. You can actually see the dove tail slot in the cabinet where the locking brace will be going.

I know it doesn't look like much so far but when everything is completed I think it is going to suit my immediate needs just fine.

20140911_152506.jpg

20140912_114005.jpg

20140911_172527.jpg

20140912_114031.jpg

Can't wait to free those coins and medals from the confines of the plastic!

Nice design Bill, my passion is woodworking and I have often thought I would supplement my retirement by making various items when I retire rather than working for someone else. Please do post the finished product, I would be interested to see how it turns out. As far as making something to fit inside a safe it wouldn't bee too difficult once you have dimensions of the inside of the safe and the dimensions of what you want to store in it.

Wish my J O B would stop getting in my way...lol.

My cabinet has the legs removed now and it sits on my dresser. It doesn't seem like it takes up as much room that way and I really didn't like the legs.

I will make sure to post pictures for sure.

I am still curious as to what I would need to do to create the environment required to allow coins and medals to tone such as the previously posted examples.

I have small kraft envelopes that I use for a number of my coins, etc.. however I believe they are sulphur free and not like the ones that Newman used.

I know it will cause some to cringe, but once I get this in house I will be breaking out all coins and medals that I have certified and graded and placing them into the cabinet.

Video to come - lol

I will make sure to post pictures for sure.

I am still curious as to what I would need to do to create the environment required to allow coins and medals to tone such as the previously posted examples.

I have small kraft envelopes that I use for a number of my coins, etc.. however I believe they are sulphur free and not like the ones that Newman used.

I know it will cause some to cringe, but once I get this in house I will be breaking out all coins and medals that I have certified and graded and placing them into the cabinet.

Video to come - lol

Calm down, dont start cracking yet. Toning is not something that can be easily recreated. It is much more than just the felt drawer liners on coin cabinets. Toning is also about humidity levels, its airflow, its the naturally occurring contaminant levels in the air in your home, its the coin itself - everything from the state of the condition of the surface of the coin to the rinse to whether its been dipped. It might also have to do with the actual finish and the chemicals used on the coin cabinet.

There are so many other variables that influence toning that it is very hard to pin down. I would try out a few raw coins before you break out the pliers. lol

Calm down, dont start cracking yet.

Hahahaha!

I am not cracking them out to specifically tone the coins. I do not (nor have I ever) liked the impersonal feel of holding a slab of plastic versus holding the actual coin or medal. This is the reason I wanted a cabinet and I store the majority of my raw coins in coin envelopes as it is.

It will be difficult, mentally, to begin cracking out a MS66 or MS65 PL coin or medal so I can then lay it into the coin cabinet but it is going to happen and that coin or medal will still be as appealing to the eyes (actually much more in my opinion) as it was prior.

Reality is, I have very little desire to go over and scope out my coins or medals in TPG holders. When I take the opportunity to enjoy my collection it is the raw coins in the envelopes that I take out of the safe and seem to receive the most enjoyment with. When I take out one of the slab holders that I have and then look at the coins, all I see is resale value and a museum display.

Just my personal experience and I do not expect even one other person here to understand. Seems all that is talked about is what did it grade and what holder is it in. :pullhair:

I can see it now. A whole new market niche for NGC and PCGS. They can start grading and slabbing my other collecting hobby; Antique Pocket Watches. :grin:

Here you go NGC; Grade this 1907 Illinois!

1907_Illinois_35_15j.jpg

1907_Illinois_35_15j_02.jpg

1907_Illinois_35_15j_01.jpg

Exquisite watch Bill. Wow. I love the blue numbers and the simple face. The pattern on the case is very cool!

I agree with Toner guy. You might want to do some experimenting with coins in the cabinet. Store them differently and see what happens. I think you're up for a nice challenge as there are so many variables. Think about coins stored in an album. For the most part, they see the same storage condition, yet for some reason coins on the same page do not tone the same.

Can't wait to get updates as you progress.

Thanks Joe and I will do as you and others have suggested and experiment. I have a number of coins in albums right now but they don't seem to be doing much. Maybe I have to much silica in the safe.

This one sold on ebay years ago.

[

Larry, that is one beautiful piece of extremely useful furniture. I would like to have something like that if I lived in a gated community and had state of the art security systems in place.

Just the thought of being able to go through a cabinet like that and peruse the collection of raw coins would be a magnificent experience.

I guess I will settle for living in the woods, guard dogs that I pay well with quality food, and plenty of guns. Of-course, nothing is beyond a thieves reach, unless you store the collection in a bank SDB. But even then you run the risk of government confiscation (as happened in the past).

Oh, and Larry - that photo you posted will now make my cabinet look like an Avon product. :grin:

Well .... not the best pictures (from his cell phone) but this is what it looks like finished. Going to pick it up in a few minutes.

20140913_110848.jpg

20140913_110902.jpg

20140913_110942.jpg

This almost feels like Christmas!!! :grin:

Very very nice ! I see you really enjoying that cabinet.

And yes I have to agree with you. I love raw coins over plastic slabs and basically feel the same about enjoying the coins. I just know that my heirs will end up paying for my enjoyment if I die unexpectedly. Thats really the only reason to keep coins slabbed if you dont expect to have to sell them suddenly.

If before you pass from this world if you can bring yourself to get them re-slabbed and sold or just oversee their sale so you know you are getting the correct money then I see nothing wrong with cracking them out.

idhair -- do you have any idea what that cabinet sold for ? Thats is a beautiful piece of furniture. It had to be in excess of $15,000.00.

The current status. Got the cabinet home, it is very nice, however I may have forgot to relay to him one crucial measurement lol ..... Not a problem since it would have been to small width wise if I had gave him that other measurement.

Soooo... I just decided to get rid of the shelving (save two pieces) and work around it instead of the other way around. I might have him make me some 'real' shelves for the safe one of these days.

Before putting it in the safe

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

btw; that is Shipping and Receiving as well as central security. ;)

Now I have it in there and arranged a few things but still have quite a large amount of 'stuff' I have to go through so I just filled some drawers randomly for now. I think it will work out well. I have to keep the fireproof safes inside the not quite as fire proof safe to ensure that my really important documents and other items will survive no matter what. Takes up a lot of space though.

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

So that is about it. I guess I will be working on getting everything to somehow fit back in there, but at least now I can easily go to the safe and open a drawer and enjoy my collection that much more.

As far as me kicking the bucket without the coins or medals in slabs - the quality of goods I acquire might be better suited for a Salvation Army donation kettle come Christmas time. I might just put that in my will. lol