• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Response from EBay Seller as to Why Coin was Lost...

24 posts in this topic

The Russians Did It !!!

Dont know if its true or not... Cant really say that I feel sorry for him. Any Powerseller, actually, anyone that does business on the Internet and does business with anyone in Russia is just asking for problems but here is his response to as why my coin didnt show up....

Not sure what this has to do with my coin that should have been sent 3 weeks ago...but -

"Hello. After 10 years as a power seller ebay has shut down my store permanently and left me without any way to take care of my wife and two young children. They shut me down because one person in Russia opened 30 cases for not receiving coins ... enough in ebay's opinion to take away a persons business ! We were not even allowed to help our Russian customer ! I was just in the hospital for 10 days with kidney problems and am behind on work. Ebay has shut down all my sales. Please send your name and describe the coin you are missing. I will look and see if your package is here or if it has been sent. Now that I am shut down ( permanently ) I could just cheat people. That is not me. I will make sure your coin is sent to you. You paid for it , you should get it. You should know that refunds are not made by ebay as they want you to think. Ebay goes into a sellers bank account and takes the money ! Send your name , so I can research where your coin is."

His photo of coin is still up on the listing too... lol

Whats the best excuse someone has used on you ?

I won 2 coins from the same seller. Both auctions ended at the exact same time. MS66 1885 & 1887 Morgans. I paid immediately. He sent e-mail saying what a great deal I got on the coins, but there was a bit of a problem. He was selling coins from an estate he was liquidating (no mention of this in either listing) and he was waiting for them to be released. I responded that I would be patient. He offered to refund my money. I declined. I wanted the coins.

I won't bore you with the details, but after 3 weeks of me communicating with him, he suddenly refunded my money. I didn't authorize this as I still wanted the coins. Next day, one of the coins I won suddenly appeared on his site as a BIN for roughly 25% above my winning bid. I had written down the NGC cert #'s, so I knew it was the coin I won.

I was furious. I tried to contact him, but got no immediate response. I contacted eBay. He claimed so much inventory, mistake, blah, blah, blah. It was unreal.

End result: I got the '85, but the '87 never arrived. I kept perusing his inventory looking for the missing '87, but I think after a while he either blocked me or shut down his store and opened under a new ID.

I won 2 coins from the same seller. Both auctions ended at the exact same time. MS66 1885 & 1887 Morgans. I paid immediately. He sent e-mail saying what a great deal I got on the coins, but there was a bit of a problem. He was selling coins from an estate he was liquidating (no mention of this in either listing) and he was waiting for them to be released. I responded that I would be patient. He offered to refund my money. I declined. I wanted the coins.

I won't bore you with the details, but after 3 weeks of me communicating with him, he suddenly refunded my money. I didn't authorize this as I still wanted the coins. Next day, one of the coins I won suddenly appeared on his site as a BIN for roughly 25% above my winning bid. I had written down the NGC cert #'s, so I knew it was the coin I won.

I was furious. I tried to contact him, but got no immediate response. I contacted eBay. He claimed so much inventory, mistake, blah, blah, blah. It was unreal.

End result: I got the '85, but the '87 never arrived. I kept perusing his inventory looking for the missing '87, but I think after a while he either blocked me or shut down his store and opened under a new ID.

Were you able to leave him negative feedback?

Were you able to leave him negative feedback?

Yes. It's the only time I've ever left negative feedback.

There is always another day for shady operators. Different business names, open as "Sunrise Rarities", get shut down re-open as "Sunshine Rarities", finally come up with another name with a jingle to it. Move on from ebay to other auction venues fishing for suckers. Or find a coin show that you can set up at selling raw and over-graded coins. Self-employment, one of the few options for those with a criminal or civil record as most employers will screen out those with any type of rap sheet.

There is always another day for shady operators. Different business names, open as "Sunrise Rarities", get shut down re-open as "Sunshine Rarities", finally come up with another name with a jingle to it. Move on from ebay to other auction venues fishing for suckers. Or find a coin show that you can set up at selling raw and over-graded coins. Self-employment, one of the few options for those with a criminal or civil record as most employers will screen out those with any type of rap sheet.

What??? Some coin dealers are criminals and have prior arrests/convictions ?

Say it aint so.... :o

What??? Some coin dealers are criminals and have prior arrests/convictions ?

Say it aint so.... :o

prior arrest/convictions should be required for politicians as well. just saying

prior arrest/convictions should be required for politicians as well. just saying

How about subsequent arrests and convictions? A few number probably deserve them.

A lot of my coin buying business has migrated off E-Bay. I am now gravitating towards coin auctions such as Heritage and Great Collections. Additionally, I am buying coins directly from dealers in who I have had good buying experiences in the past. I will occasionally buy a coin listed on E-Bay, but there again I'll buy from people I have had good experiences. I have not bought ANY coins on E-Bay since the end of July. In fact this quarter, I will not have enough buys to get my E-Bay Bucks! If I am selling on E-Bay, I have a personal policy of NO overseas sales. I've had way too many hassles with these sales in the past.

Gary

A lot of my coin buying business has migrated off E-Bay. I am now gravitating towards coin auctions such as Heritage and Great Collections. Additionally, I am buying coins directly from dealers in who I have had good buying experiences in the past. I will occasionally buy a coin listed on E-Bay, but there again I'll buy from people I have had good experiences. I have not bought ANY coins on E-Bay since the end of July. In fact this quarter, I will not have enough buys to get my E-Bay Bucks! If I am selling on E-Bay, I have a personal policy of NO overseas sales. I've had way too many hassles with these sales in the past.

Gary

This.

this is one of the biggest reasons why I believe Ebay is the number one resource overall that has contributed to my success in the business... I hear so many coin guys talking about everything that is bad about buying/selling coins via Ebay, and without question, there are some negatives, & potential hazards on Ebay. In the big picture overall though, for me I wouldn't be anywhere close to where I am right now, if it wasn't for the relationships I have built with people from initial contact being an Ebay transaction.

I think of it like this, in my town, there are 5 coin shops.... after visiting each one a couple of times, it is very very obvious which ones are "friendly" and which ones are "not friendly".... So at this point, I frequent 2 of them, visit 1 every once in a while maybe every 3 months or so. As far as the other 2 shops in town, they don't even exist in my world anymore. I see Ebay as the exact same, except that there are hundreds of "coin shops" to experience, rather than just a small handful. I feel like Ebay is an absolutely amazing resource, and believe that It is even "safer" for the collector/consumer/end buyer/etc... than any other platform to buy coins.

Gary

I still buy off eBay, but it's only low priced bullion from trusted sellers. I infrequently browse for higher priced coins and use the auction houses to fulfill that demand. In the past, I've bought many Morgan's in GSA holders off eBay. The only ones I still need are going to cost a fortune, so I'm channeling that money to other series.

Gary

I still buy off eBay, but it's only low priced bullion from trusted sellers. I infrequently browse for higher priced coins and use the auction houses to fulfill that demand. In the past, I've bought many Morgan's in GSA holders off eBay. The only ones I still need are going to cost a fortune, so I'm channeling that money to other series.

jpcienkus makes a good point and I want to clarify my position on E-Bay. I think much of the reason I have not been buying coins through E-Bay sellers has more to do with my collecting goals than it does with whats going on at E-Bay. In fact E-Bay is still my best source to buy foreign coins.

Of lately, I have been more focused on my US type coin set and those are the coins I am buying direct through dealers. It is just odd that at no time since I started buying coins through E-Bay many years ago have I gone this long without a purchase.

Gary

Amazingly the coin showed up today. Mailed on the 9th. lol

Well I guess he gets some people to say forget it and he gets to double his profits.

It appears the seller was truthful. Interesting transaction.

Well I guess he gets some people to say forget it and he gets to double his profits.

So after doubting him and then receiving the coin, after all, you still take another shot at him? That stinks.

So after doubting him and then receiving the coin, after all, you still take another shot at him? That stinks.

meh. I didnt name him on this forum so his reputation is intact. I still think he lied. But I will leave him 5 star glowing feedback on EBay if that makes you feel better.

meh. I didnt name him on this forum so his reputation is intact. I still think he lied. But I will leave him 5 star glowing feedback on EBay if that makes you feel better.

If I didn't know any better I would think the two of you were married.

Strange relationship you have lol

If you swore off business with everyone in numismatics who had bent the truth, been a little shady, or had something else in their past that was cause for concern you wouldn't have many people left to do business with. Some of the formerly shady operators are presently trying to clean up their act, I guess the song "Amazing Grace" reflects something of that character. And those with unsavory pasts can be the most charitable if they turn over a new leaf or see the need to give back. There is the saying "cutting off your nose despite your face", etc.. There was a blow-up at a major show recently where a dealer got under the skin of the guy manning the coffee station there. A huge amount of noise was made between the two men outraged at how the other was acting. I was at a table where a dealer and collector made negative comments about the dealer who triggered the rage. Personally I have had good dealings with the guy. I even had good dealings with a notorious Texas dealer. Every day is new, you hope people learn and improve.

Mark just likes arguing with people that are more intelligent. Its his one flaw. I bet he will even comment about this post.... watch. He trolls me constantly. :roflmao:

Seriously, there are few people in this world that I have more respect for than Mark Feld. It helps for him that I know very few respectable people but of those I do know - Mark sits on top of that list.

This hobby needs more people like Mark Feld.

Mark just likes arguing with people that are more intelligent. Its his one flaw. I bet he will even comment about this post.... watch. He trolls me constantly. :roflmao:

Seriously, there are few people in this world that I have more respect for than Mark Feld. It helps for him that I know very few respectable people but of those I do know - Mark sits on top of that list.

This hobby needs more people like Mark Feld.

I do enjoy debating with those who are more intelligent. But what, on earth, does that have to do with arguing with you?

:devil:

As for the rest of your post - thank you, sincerely.

As for the rest of your post - thank you, sincerely.

You just have to promise not to die before me so I know that I can send my wife to someone that I trust! :angel:

Im not Jewish but it is Friday and it is Happy Hour - "L'Chayim"