• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Us goverment coin offers

6 posts in this topic

How many of you buy the US government coin issues directly from the government site?

Do you buy the annual proof sets, ?

What do you buy?

If you buy How many of which type.?

Do the big coin dealers on TV buy hundreds?

Special sets or other?

If you do buy them do you think they increase in value or do you like them for the beauty of collecting great looking coins

How many of you buy the US government coin issues directly from the government site?

i dont

i dont

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they buy MORE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special sets or other?

anything they can buy on speculation and turn quickly for a quick/sometimes huge profit and/or get graded fast and then sometimes sell for huge profit's.............. just business

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do buy them do you think they increase in value or do you like them for the beauty of collecting great looking coins

it all depends on many factors the largest seem to be if it will grade 70 at the top 2 services and/or with added monikers to the grading label

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE LINE (SEE BELOW) ADDED TO THIS POST

I usually don't. I have had more than my share of sub par coins sent to me when I ordered from the government.

I buy the annual Proof sets because I am maintaining a set from 1950 to date. I buy they from my local dealer because of what I said in question #1.

What do you buy?

I buy the commemorative coins directly from the government sometimes. Among all of the coins, it seems that the overall quality of the commemoratives is the best.

One of each.

They buy thousands if they can profit from it, and I think they get quantity discounts.

Special sets or other?

They will buy anything to make a buck.

I buy them as a collector. The vast majority of these coins turn out to be financial losers. They are like a new car when you drive it off the lot. They lose value instantly.

Some of them are not all that attractive. I guess you might call me a collector - addict, although it is fun to have a set from each year and recall the events of that period of time.

I do not.

N/A

What do you buy?

N/A

N/A

Hundreds or more directly from the mint (using proxies and/or multiple accounts), and hundreds more from collectors that deliberately buy multiples specifically to sell them to the big dealers

Special sets or other?

N/A

N/A but in general most do not significantly increase in value and can often be purchased a few years later at issue price or less.

I do. I don't buy everything, but I do buy ones that I like.

I buy the annual silver proof sets.

What do you buy?

ASE's, some medals and some commems (only if I like the design)

Enough for me.

I suspect thousands or more depending on the coins.

Special sets or other?

Sometimes.

No illusions they will go up in value. I just want them in my collection.