• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Orleans Types Set Finally complete!

3 posts in this topic

Added the last of the New Orleans issues to complete the type set.

Finally, I finished my New Orleans type set. Although the registry has a Carson City--one per denomination, a type set, the New Orleans Mint has not been deemed worthy of such a designation. Nevertheless, after completing the Carson City set, I slowly, over several years, worked to complete a New Orleans type set. The Double Eagle was difficult only based on price, the $3 was not bad and the halftime, no stars, was actually quite challenging to find an acceptable grade. The clear stopper was the 1909-O $5 Indian. This was both difficult from the perspective of finding a nice quality piece and keeping it under 5 figures. While I finally found a $5 Indian that I could live with and be happy with without taking out a mortgage. I can't afford to just pay a dealer to go out and buy me a complete mint state set, nor would I want to. That would take the fun out of the hunt. Having completed this set I can say with confidence that the 2 most difficult coins are the no stars halftime, which is totally under rated and the 5 Dollar Indian which usually comes with quite a bit of fanfare. I hope you'll enjoy the photos of the coin as I hope I enjoy the coin, happy hunting.

John

15907.JPG

See more journals by JTO