• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A GTG of sorts

13 posts in this topic

I would call the toning neutral - it doesn't hurt the eye appeal, but I don't really see it bringing a large premium. The obverse fields are clean, but some marks on the reverse limit the grade for me. I am leaning towards MS66RB.

I judge toning by my initial impression. When I opened this thread and saw the Obverse my initial impression was that the toning did not enhance the "look" of the coin. I had to look past the toning to attempt to grade the coin. In other words, the toning got in the way of the grade. I see the toning as detrimental.

Admittedly not a Lincoln expert. MS65RB.

Carl

Thanks for the comments everyone, there is no right or wrong answer because this coin is in a third tier NNC slab with a very optimistic grade on the label. But as I don't really dabble much with the toned market I thought it would be interesting to see what others thought about the color. I used large photos initially to give everyone the best chance to see the surfaces. Here are the same pics just downsized to a less than dinner plate size which might give you a better perspective on what this might look like at first glance. Overall I thought the color to be slightly pleasing but not enough to deserve a star, and I would say it grades MS64, perhaps the color might push it to 65 on a good day.

40-D-obv-sm.jpg40-D-rev-sm.jpg

Looks like a 64+ RB. I really like the look of the coin, and would say the toning definitely adds to the coin's eye appeal. It won't bring a premium because it is only slight toning (and won't bring a star either), but it is attractive.