• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interested in a holed 2-cent?

8 posts in this topic

I recently acquired the most beautiful (to my novice eyes) 2-cent piece I've seen. That is, besides those in photos.

I'm probably about to say too much here, but that's me, so here goes....

This coin comes from a local safe deposit box auction, so I've no idea whose it was -- just that it was an Arizona Dept. of Revenue instigated auction, therefore it was either a tax-lien issue, or an abandoned property issue. Of the many lots available from this particular auction, this was one of a few single-coin lots. (I'm assuming from the various quantities and combinations of items up for bid that each lot represented one account or one SD box).

On the obverse of this 1864 coin, at almost (if not) precisely 12 o'clock is a neatly drilled hole -- not punched, stamped, poked or otherwise abusively placed, but clean, burr free, and very nicely done. I specified the obverse 12 o'clock for a reason; (funny, I didn't notice this until after I'd purchased the coin -- I'd actually bid on it because, despite its hole, it was the best I'd ever seen and put the other 2-cent coins in my collection to a bruised & bloodied shame.) flip the coin to the reverse, leaving the hole in the 12 o-clock position, and one might expect to be looking at the upside-down design -- with the hole being at 6 o'clock relative to the reverse's noon designation. But nOOOOooooo! Not on this coin. When I flip this coin over, leaving the hole at the 12 o'clock position, the "noon" position of the design is at about 11 o'clock, not at 6.

Things that make you go 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmmmm......

Lucky score on my part, I suppose .... but bad timing. I'd much rather hold onto the coin for those retirement years -- let it appreciate to its full potential. But, alas!! I am unemployed and in need of mortgage funds (guess in a way I could consider myself retired right now, heh-heh wink.gif) I'm not maintaining my profits well with ebay (still honing those ad writing skills) and would rather skip that group -- leave this one for the members-only exclusive. Maybe this way I have at least some chance of eliminating some of the riff-raff. You people aren't riff raff, right? Right? WHAT? ...... but, but, but .... I thought ....... oh : confused-smiley-013.gif {kidding, kidding, kidding -- we're all the riff raff -- I just like to raff -- don't like taking any riff, and we all know ebay has plenty of that to go around....) NE way....

I'll be adding a photo to the post shortly -- at the moment, I'm house sitting and not on my own computer, so I'm not even sure it this will post -- lot of typing for it to go POOF! After I fight my mom's computer and make it like my digital camera Christo_pull_hair.gif, I'll be adding the pic to the post. Anyone interested in making an offer is invited to do so -- you should be able to PM me here, or you can email me at resslme@yahoo.com. Reply to the post too, if you'd like -- more knowledge is humbly invited as well. Or do nothing. Whatever makes you raff (BAH!hahahaha!) stooges.gif

I recently acquired the most beautiful (to my novice eyes) 2-cent piece I've seen. That is, besides those in photos.

I'm probably about to say too much here, but that's me, so here goes....

This coin comes from a local safe deposit box auction, so I've no idea whose it was -- just that it was an Arizona Dept. of Revenue instigated auction, therefore it was either a tax-lien issue, or an abandoned property issue. Of the many lots available from this particular auction, this was one of a few single-coin lots. (I'm assuming from the various quantities and combinations of items up for bid that each lot represented one account or one SD box).

On the obverse of this 1864 coin, at almost (if not) precisely 12 o'clock is a neatly drilled hole -- not punched, stamped, poked or otherwise abusively placed, but clean, burr free, and very nicely done. I specified the obverse 12 o'clock for a reason; (funny, I didn't notice this until after I'd purchased the coin -- I'd actually bid on it because, despite its hole, it was the best I'd ever seen and put the other 2-cent coins in my collection to a bruised & bloodied shame.) flip the coin to the reverse, leaving the hole in the 12 o-clock position, and one might expect to be looking at the upside-down design -- with the hole being at 6 o'clock relative to the reverse's noon designation. But nOOOOooooo! Not on this coin. When I flip this coin over, leaving the hole at the 12 o'clock position, the "noon" position of the design is at about 11 o'clock, not at 6.

Things that make you go mmmmmmm......

Lucky score on my part, I suppose .... but bad timing. I'd much rather hold onto the coin for those retirement years -- let it appreciate to its full potential. But, alas!! I am unemployed and in need of mortgage funds (guess in a way I could consider myself retired right now, heh-heh ) I'm not maintaining my profits well with ebay (still honing those ad writing skills) and would rather skip that group -- leave this one for the members-only exclusive. Maybe this way I have at least some chance of eliminating some of the riff-raff. You people aren't riff raff, right? Right? WHAT? ...... but, but, but .... I thought ....... oh : {kidding, kidding, kidding -- we're all the riff raff -- I just like to raff -- don't like taking any riff, and we all know ebay has plenty of that to go around....) NE way....

I'll be adding a photo to the post shortly -- at the moment, I'm house sitting and not on my own computer, so I'm not even sure it this will post -- lot of typing for it to go POOF! After I fight my mom's computer and make it like my digital camera , I'll be adding the pic to the post. Anyone interested in making an offer is invited to do so -- you should be able to PM me here, or you can email me at resslme@yahoo.com. Reply to the post too, if you'd like -- more knowledge is humbly invited as well. Or do nothing. Whatever makes you raff (BAH!hahahaha!)

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Now how about those pics? wink.gif

I'd be intersted.

WOOHOO!!! It's about 893censored-thumb.gif time! Geeeez! Fighting my mom's computer was nothin' compared to the issues I've had to overcome with the home PC. Sorry it took so long! email me if still interested, or PM thru here -- my info is readily available for anyone who wants to use it.

And yes, I know I said 11 oclock --- oops. My bad. I confused m'self with all that o'clock stuff. Just look at it, don't take my word for it. Go ahead. Download that attachment that took me forever to get here. Then I won't have to worry about saying anything stupid again...at least about the coin anyway...... is that smart? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmmmm ((giggles))