• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How rare are the English pennies of King Harold II?

11 posts in this topic

How rare are the English pennies of King Harold II who ruled for 10 months in 1066? Harold was the unfortunate king who lost the Battle of Hastings and his life to William the Conqueror.

Fairly rare I would guess. There is an NGC AU50 example in the Heritage Long Beach Signature Auction # 3055, lot 30734 currently at $4.5 K which makes it 5.2K with tax and tip (buyer's premium).

The pennies of H2 is scarce, but well-made well-preserved specimens are actually rare. They were made hurriedly to pay for the war effort. Many were poorly struck, or struck on gnarly planchets, or from worn dies, or from dies from ETC's reign.

This being the final monarch of the Wessex/Anglo-Saxon series, any piece will command a premium. A true British EF piece with nice eye appeal will cost a kingly sum.

This one is mine:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of All England. Harold II. 1066. AR Penny (18mm, 1.30 g, 6h). Pax type (BMC i). Wearwic (Warwick) mint; Thurcil, moneyer. Struck 6 January-14 October 1066. + HΛROLD REX ANGL•, crowned head left; scepter before / + ÐVRCIL ON PEΛRPI, PΛX between two parallel lines. SCBI 2 (Hunterian), 1213 (same dies); Hild. –; BMC –; North 836; SCBC 1186. EF, superb deeply iridescent patina. Exceptional strike and state of preservation. Portrait of excellent style.

Ex William J. Conte Collection (Triton VI, 14 January 2003), lot 1477.

Anglo-Saxon%20Harold%20II%20S-1186.jpg

EVP

It's a beauty indeed, but at $10,000 (not including the BP), that one's WAY out of my league.

:o

I was the underbidder for this: A Better H2 Than Mine

I like that one most of all I've seen, but just couldn't pull it off. :( I like mine second most of all H2 I've seen, but it's obviously inferior to the one that got away. But, mine has better color, fwiw. :D

EVP

Thanks guys. There's an NGC AU53 specimen in a recent HA auction that sold for around 6 or 7 grand. The H2 seems more pricey than rare, but hard to truly assess relative rarity because money tends to bring out the coins. And, this reign is one of those popular ones, like Aelfred and Offa.

Bill - sorry, didn't mean to turn your thread into one about my coin.

EVP