• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guide Book of United States Coins 14th Edition (c) 1960

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1960 Red Book and I'm pretty sure it's the 13th edition. The 14th edition was probably printed in 1960 though since they typically come out a year ahead of the edition date.

It's a bit confusing because it wasn't until 2-3 years later they put the year and the edition number on the cover.

You may not be able to make out the gold printing in the pic, but the cover clearly says "14th Edition" by R. S. Yeoman.

The title page says it is the "1961 A Guide Book...".

The copyright is MCMLX, aka 1960 and that was what I was indicating with my notation "© 1960".

You'd better bid on this one so that you can compare it to the 13th edition for historical research! smile.gif

Ok, they put the edition but not the year on the cover. I knew it was one or the other, but not both. So you have the 1961 redbook, printed in 1960. Unfortunately, I have that one too.

I picked up around 10 of these from the 60's and 70's about 20 years ago at $2 each. I thought about collecting a set but never bothered getting any of the older ones. 1960 is my oldest.

Curiously I've had this one for, oh, maybe 30 years. In pencil inside the front cover it says "1.75". I'm positive I didn't buy the book, probably was given to me already used, so I don't know what it cost when it was new. Any idea on the original price?

BTW, for anyone looking at bidding on it, it looks like the old brittle masking tape on the spine might be able to be removed... I'm not sure what it is covering but at least under the fringes of the tape the spine looks like it is there, but is maybe split and the tape was put on to hold it down flat.