• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1954 Proof Franklin

19 posts in this topic

The coin has decent contrast. In my opinion not enough on the obverse especially to get the cameo designation. Looks to me like all the scratches that are shown are on the holder and not the coin. As such I would call this a premium Proof 67, no cameo.

The grade of most proof coins is largely determined by the extent of hairlines (which are often not apparent in images). And therefore, grade guesses are often an exercise in futility.

For example, the coin you asked about looks like a 67, but could probably grade anywhere between approximately 65 and 69. So a grade guess is essentially meaningless.

After seeing that is an older ngc Slab, I guess I missed this earlier, I'm being is headed as a cameo. That would make my guess a 67 cameo. No offense to your coin I feel it'sa fine example but in today's Slab world that would not make cameo. NGC has tightened their standards as has pcgs.

The coin has decent contrast. In my opinion not enough on the obverse especially to get the cameo designation.

I think you are seeing a shadow rather than breaks in the frost. That's the way I interpreted the photos initially.

The coin has decent contrast. In my opinion not enough on the obverse especially to get the cameo designation.
I think you are seeing a shadow rather than breaks in the frost. That's the way I interpreted the photos initially.
Actually I was basing that off what I call "shine". Even when the cameo has contrast / frost at times the shine shows through. Because of that a lot of coins that have a good bit of contrast will not make the designation. I will tell you that a lot of coins in earlier holders, NGC especially (no offense to our host), were designated cameo even though that had that shine. This is no longer the case and I personally feel that NGC has raised their standard to the same level as PCGS for cameos. I know that back in the day there were certain dealers that would by PCGS coins that just missed the cameo designation, crack them and reholder them in NGC holders and do quite well on that. I was not one of them.

Actually I was basing that off what I call "shine". Even when the cameo has contrast / frost at times the shine shows through. Because of that a lot of coins that have a good bit of contrast will not make the designation. I will tell you that a lot of coins in earlier holders, NGC especially (no offense to our host), were designated cameo even though that had that shine. This is no longer the case and I personally feel that NGC has raised their standard to the same level as PCGS for cameos. I know that back in the day there were certain dealers that would by PCGS coins that just missed the cameo designation, crack them and reholder them in NGC holders and do quite well on that. I was not one of them.

Would you consider this coin a cameo Sam? The scratches are on the slab.

49_obv_SC_zpsbd1e3f10.jpg

49_rev_SC_zps289f7067.jpg

Kenny, to me the reverse is rock solid cameo. The obverse, man that's iffy. TBH the mirrors on your coin are deeper and the frost slightly better, but that could be my perception because of the deeper mirrors. So yes I would consider that a cameo.

That being said, these photos were taken by two different photographers. Yonico's by Bob and yours by Shane. They both use different techniques. So, all in all the coins could be equal but my perception from the photos is that yours is a better cameo.

I hope I was able to muddy the waters sufficiently! lol

I won't comment on my original guess as to grade or cameo designation (and whether it was correct or not). It was called to my attention, after my initial post (and to my embarrassment), that the coin in the OP is actually one that I once owned and that I failed to recognize.

The point of all of this is that the images I posted are of the same coin, and were taken by Shane. That's part of the reason that I opined that what you are interpreting as shine is more likely due to shadowing and angling effects in trying to shoot the coin through a scared up slab. Granted it has been a while since I have seen the coin in hand, but I don't recall it having any breaks in cameo contrast or the shine through phenomenon that you are referencing.

On another note, did you view the coin using an iPad or normal laptop? (I think you posted here once that you sometimes use an iPad). The coin looks frostier on my iPad than it does on a loner PC laptop that I am using, so I wonder how much screen settings can affect cameo perception. After viewing the coin on the laptop, I see more why you commented the way you did and the laptop is making it look weaker (to me) than my iPad and what I recall from having viewed the coin in hand.

I'm actually at work on a desktop and yes sometimes I do use an ipad and sometimes a laptop and my phone... and...

Like you, I wouldn't have picked that as the same coin. Both photographers are OUTSTANDING! Two of the best around. But as shown by the images they both have different techniques.

Thanks for your insights Kenny.

Thank you all for the guesses!

the coin is graded PF67 CAMEO by NGC. i think the CAM designation is 100% deserved.

it is a beautiful coin!

Yoni_1954Franklin_PR67Cameo_o11r2.jpg