• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1858 Over Inverted date Half Dime

7 posts in this topic

I was looking at images of these on CoinFacts. It got me wondering about a few things. The one I own has die polish lines on both sides. Seems odd that both dies used would show this.

I didn't see any images with even one side with these lines. I did see many with strong clash marks on the reverse. That's probably why the die was worked on.

Would love to here any information folks may know about this variety.

Image_1001A.jpg

Image_0989.jpg

Image_0997.jpg

Larry,

I have always loved this half dime. The die polish lines add to the incredible inverted misplaced date! Do you think this is early in the die use for why it shows the die polish lines, or do you think the dies were polished after being used for some time? If the latter, one wonders why they did not attempt to remove the misplaced date, or were the numbers too deeply cut into the die? Also, between HALF and DIME, there seems to be a raised area above the die polish lines (below in the die). Perhaps Roger can tell us what he thinks went on with these dies?

Best, HT

Die polish lines are found on many U.S. dies in this era. The logical explanation is that the Chief Coiner encouraged the press operators to keep their dies shiny.

The inverted date was probably too deep to erase. SInce the die now had a nice clear readable date, it may have been considered close enough.

I would prefer to see the date under magnification. Off hand, as the Capt noted, there was a lot of die repair, and this obverse might have been "good enough."

Question. Are the images above those from Coinfacts or the OP's coin? And do both show the same lines running the same way? Lines running all the way across the coin in straight lines often indicate planchet striations and not die polish. Die polish lines don't normally run like that either. On the other hand planchet striations running diagonally across the coin should run at 90 degree angles to each other when you flip the coin over.

The images and the coin are mine. I should have been more clear. I thought about planchet striations but the direction is not a match.

I guess the dies were worked on as a pair and were put back in service as a pair. Maybe that was normal for the time.