• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotte Mint

17 posts in this topic

The building was moved from its original location, and it looks like they changed shape of the windows when they rebuilt it. I hope to see it in about a year and a half.

I really enjoyed the Dahlonega Mint site, and the structure that is there now is only built on the original foundation. At least this is most of the original building.

I've been there. I wouldn't suggest making a trip to Charlotte just for the museum, but if you're there anyway (I was there on business), or passing through, it's definitely worth a stop for a few hours.

The New Orleans and Carson City mints are also still standing -- Carson City was the best of them, in my opinion.

I've seen from the outside the CC, O, and SF (the granite lady) mints. All were closed when I was there. Someday I will get to them. I was in NO right after Katrina, the mint had some exterior damage and was closed during the clean up phase following the mayhem. Each year I am in SF I walk by the Granite Lady hoping for open doors. I am hoping soon they can open with daily hours, I hear their renovations are going well. Charlotte would also be cool to visit.

Best, HT

The Charlotte Mint as an Assay Office, 1880s.

...................c34f2481-19a5-426e-95d2-66e6c99d8e05_zps46d6c993.jpg

One of the interesting factors is that the building shown above was the second Charlotte mint. The first one had two stories above the basement like the Dahlonega mint. It burned circa 1844 and was replaced with the smaller structure.

You can find more details about the Charlotte, Dahlonega and New Orleans mints in the book "From Mine to Mint." This includes original floor plans and other details not available elsewhere.

The book also has floor plans and details of all the other assay offices and mints. The main purpose, however, was to document how the mints worked and the technology they used. It has been very helpful to collectors trying to understand how certain errors or varieties occurred. Lots more , too - also comes with a CD so you can put it on your ebook or anything that will handle PDF files.

Wizard Coin Supply has regular and autographed copies.

Just received RWB's book "from Mine to Mint", perfect timing, heading down to Brigantine for vacation and looks like a few bad weather days are in forecast.

So, Plan B is RWB's book plus a few John Daly's ( Arnold Palmers + Vodka) and good to go.

Cheers !

Rich

The only one I've been to is the New Orleans mint, and I really enjoyed it. The first floor has a pretty good display (and a good showing of coins). The upper floors are an art museum (which I also greatly enjoyed).