• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Dahlonega and Stone Mountain GA. Trip

20 posts in this topic

There's Gold in them there hills......

Hi All,

About a week late in posting this entry, but attached are a few pics of the trip.

Visiting Dahlonega was certainly worthwhile. Of note, the Gold Museum now houses a complete Dahlonega Gold collection in addition to a great collection of scales and other mining tools, pics and memorabilia.

The complete Dahlonega gold set was housed in what appeared to be a customized Capital Display holder. Visitors could photo everything in the museum with the exception of this display.

In scoping out the visit, I had read that there was also a historical marker for the mint which I was found, it resides near the current administrative building of North Georgia College which sits on the original mint building site. Fire had destroyed the mint building in 1878, and all that remains of the original structure are some block walls in the basement rooms.

Prior to the visit, our friend Coin928 mentioned he had picked up a copy of "The Neighborhood Mint" and sure enough the museum had the book , and as a nice bonus, they also had the new 3rd addition of Douglas Winter's "Gold Coins of the Dahlonega Mint". Throw in a tee shirt for my wife Susan and that was an easy sale.

Speaking of numismatic reading, I invite all to check out my offerings of Auction Catalogs and the huge Labor Day Sale I am running this weekend in the Numismatic Marketplace. Knowledge is the key to this hobby, and these catalogs provide plenty of research material, lots written by Q. David Bowers. There are all sorts of denominations covered, from Colonials to Bust, Liberty Seated and Barbers, to Gold including Dahlonega and Charlotte issues, to World coins, Treasure Gold from the Brother Jonathan, and more, lots of great collections from catalogs in the 1990s. Most have the accompanied sell price listing, a great benchmark for pricing.

Another highlight was that the museum has a 20+ minute documentary film, and it was exceptional, with great info on the history of the region and the gold rush of the 1830's. .

My numismatic collection takeaway will be to try and add one Dahlonega gold to my collection down the road, which will fit well in my Somerville 19th Century with Gold Type set. They are all relatively pricy but I can see adding a AU $2.50 Qtr Eagle maybe the 1844D or 1846D or possibly the $5 Half Eagle also AU maybe a 1847D or 1848D as reasonable targets. You can really feel the history when visiting Dahlonega with the coins coming to life adding to their collectability and charm.

Other Dahlonega notes: 1- we stayed at the Holiday about a mile out of town and it was very nice, 2- visited one of the local wineries and that was fun, 3- also in middle of town was an old time ice cream parlor, couldn't resist a root beer float. Finally lots of antiquing if you like that plus lots of good eateries and of course loads of southern hospitality. Didn't do the mining tour ( wine ALWAYS wins ) so certainly lots to do.

The next day, before taking a flight back to NJ we were able to fit in and visit Stone Mountain, and so glad we did. Towering 400 feet above the ground, the granite Memorial carving of Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson is visually stunning. The carving is simply majestic, the photos are from probably 450 yards or so as we didn't have time to photograph from a closer distance. Stone Mountain is probably 30 minutes or so outside Atlanta and an amazing park that I could easily spend more time enjoying.

I have owned the 1925 Stone Mountain Commemorative on more than one occasion, will definitely now purchase again, this time at high grade , minimum MS-66.

In closing, I find that visits to places like Dahlonega and Stone Mountain vividly reinforce the history of our country and, as numismatists, the linkage to our coins. It has been a great 1st summer in retirement from a travel perspective, 1st the New Hampshire White Mountains and the site of where the Old Man of the Mountain once resided, then this trip. I definitely will need to close this aspect of touring America out by visiting Mt Rushmore in the not so distant future.

Attached are a few photos.

Cheers !

Rich

15877.JPG

See more journals by RichH

Great story Rich! You are definitely enjoying your retirement! I was telling my wife how you combine vacation trips coins shows or museums along with other activities your wife would enjoy. (Trying to implant this concept early with my wife now, even though I won't be retiring any time soon). Take care Dave

Part of knowledge is knowing that the "Treasure Gold from the Brother Jonathan" story in Bowers' book is substantially false with regard to Mexican bars, silver bars and Western "ingots."

Hi Rich

I'm glad you had a lot of fun on your vacation! Stone Mountain is awesome! I was there many years ago and hiked up the mountain to near the top. Did you see the laser light show they do to music on the side of the mountain at night? That was really spectacular, especially when it ended with the Charlie Daniels Band, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". Good Times!

I have an 1846-D half-eagle in an old ANACS holder that is plugged, tooled, and whizzed. Every time I look at it, I think that poor old coin, but hey even though it's butchered, it's still a Dahlonega! Since I'm a sucker for pedigrees, I'll always wonder who wore this little gem around their neck!

Just for grins, I hauled the old girl out for another look and to update her pictures. I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but it it appears that there was another D stamped on the coin's die. Then I looked on PCGS coinfacts and NGC's coin explorer to verify the die variety. Oh the joy when I confirmed that my coin is the D over D variety! How cool! I've owned this coin for years and it just goes to show you learn something new all the time about the coins you own!

Gary

1846_D_over_D-3_zps5f03ddda.jpg

Hi Gary,

Very cool, in checking Winter's book, there are two die varieties known for the D over D date. Your coin is Variety 16-J which has a low date obverse. The other die variety has the 1 centered between the neck and denticles, 17-J . :cool:

Also, "the old girl, plugged - tooled and whizzed ?" Being an old Jersey guy I just started humming Cherry Hill Park.

We missed the light show, the Stone Mtn visit was short but made efficient use of an "airport" day. Definitely want to re-vist with more time, check out the light show and more.

Cheers!

Rich

Realized from the NH trip, I forgot to include pic of a true treasure, a native wild brook trout caught on a dry fly from the Wildcat River.

This brookie was hooked, played, netted & released unharmed ( except for a temporary sore lip)

Rich

149624.jpg.fd5f3f407b417b8223f488c5dd423da4.jpg

Hi Rich,

Sounds like a great trip. I hope to visit Dahlonega in the near future and appreciate your review. I'm glad you found a copy of the book too.

My bucket list includes visiting all of the US Mints, both past and present. I've hit San Francisco (old and new mints), Carson City (twice), Denver (at least twice), and New Orleans. I figure I can hit Charlotte and Dahlonega in one trip which will just leave Philadelphia and West Point. I'd love to see Manila too, but that may be a bit beyond my reach.

Great post! (thumbs u

Hi Coin928,

Yup, I have basically the same goal plus in NJ there are two historic markers for the Morristown and Rahway Mints that, embarrassing I have yet to photograph. Also, FYI read no tours of West Point mint, can only take a pic of building, hopefully this may change down the road.

Winters also has a book on the Charlotte gold, you can see the Dahlonega book already paid dividends in ID'ing Gary's die variety.

Cheers!

Rich

Great post and great trip..thanks for sharing this with us. I can only live vicariously through you retirees for now....shooting for age 60 to finish the career, then maybe an on-line business or small home business to keep me busy......

Thanks Jackson, but don't rush time. Sounds like you have a good plan and have set goals, which is the key.

Yes, fortunately was able to leave corporate at exactly 59.5 and just turned 60 last month. In embryonic stage of small business start-up and lots of fun. Key is relationships that were built over many years. Possibly will supplement with a couple of consulting gigs, but that's TBD.

Next few months will be fun, Jersey Shore week coming up, great tix for Irish – Orange game at Meadowlands, NH and Balt shows in Oct, some fall fly fishing, more reading, and then gear up for FUN trip in January, life is good indeed !

And, most importantly, if things go well, could have new mini schnauzer pup in few months and that will be best of all !

Cheers !

Rich

You can find more details about the Charlotte, Dahlonega and New Orleans mints in the book "From Mine to Mint." This includes original floor plans and other details not available elsewhere.

Wild caught always seem to taste better! (Fish and coins!)

Thanks, see my other post on Charlotte Mint, will order from Wiz today .

You are correct, but I rarely eat trout caught, however, like coins I greatly enjoy the pursuit and journey.

Cheers!

Rich

Partial to Chilean Sea Bass., but mostly a shellfish aficionado.

I miss Obrycki's when in Baltimore, I like Phillips but mostly to have fun at the piano bar.

Anybody have a good Balt Crab House recommend ?

One last point to the post, failed to mention that I had asked the museum personnel if they had any idea if the original Dahlonega dies existed. The answer was that they were taken back to the Philadelphia Mint, I believe at the outbreak of the Civil War.

I was told the museum had made attempts to have them returned to Dahlonega. Not sure the extent of the efforts, or the actual current status of the dies. Do know that it would be an awesome addition to the museum if they were returned to their "home".

Cheers!

Rich

Custody of the Georgia mint was not a clear-cut business. Locals were mostly Union supporters. If the remaining dies were sent to Philadelphia, they would have been destroyed as was normal.