• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something unusual for me - 1914 Japan 1 Yen

9 posts in this topic

Here's a coin I bought on Chrismas Eve just because I liked it:

675804-1914Japan1Yen2.jpg

It's a Japanese 1 yen coin from year 3 of the Taisho era of Emperor Yoshihito (1914 AD). Not much of a historical write up this time as Jaan is way outside of my usual interests.

I've always liked the crown sized Asian coins with the dragon design so I had vague ideas of buying one some day. That day came last Friday when Shiroh and I swung by our local coin shop before it closed for the holidays. I've seen others of this type before but never as nice - they usually come dinged up. The obverse is very clean with excellent luster and just a bit of rim toning. Reverse has a few contact marks but still way above average.

I can even fit this one into my WWI collection as the year is right and Japan was active in helping sieze the German colonies in Asia and hunting down the commerce raiders.

As always, comments are welcome!

-JamminJ

Very pretty pice JJ! I have seen but one of those in person (I haven't really looked that hard!) and it was counterstamped. Interesting piece, but not nearly as nice as the one you picked up. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Nice picture of a great coin James. I'm assuming that lusterous appearance is real and not a product of your photo skills. smile.gif If you ever decide to sell takeit.gif

Some abbreviated history for you - The 45th and final year of the Meiji Era (1912) was the first year of the relatively brief Taisho Era that was almost like an inter-regnum period, as the Japanese culture and economy digested the huge changes wrought by the previous Emperor's restoration of political power to the royal family instead of the Shogun warlords, and his industrial modernization and opening of Japan to full participation in world trade.

The silver dragon yen was minted in 1870 with a different reverse as one of the original milled coins of Japan. Then it was minted almost every year from 1874-1912, with the better known reverse which is on your coin. 1914 was the only year that yen were minted during the 15 Taisho years. In fact it was the very last 1 yen coin minted prior to the American Occupation years, as Japan went through a period of expansionism leading ultimately to its defeat in World War II, and another fundamental change in the status of the Emperor - this time from demi-God to a symbol of the state without substantial political power.

The Taisho yen was never officially countermarked with the "Gin" (silver) symbol, as that program had ended late in the 19th Century, but many of them were "chopped" by Chinese and other Asian traders to validate them as tradeable silver.

From rough parity with the U.S. dollar when your coin was produced, the yen had devalued to an official 1/360th of a dollar (and a black market 1/500th of a dollar) when the minting of 1 yen coins resumed with a brass yen, the same size as the current aluminum coin, in 1948, the 23rd year of the 64-year Showa Era.

Thanks to everyone for the comments but especially to Roy for the "story behind the coin."

The luster on the coin is supurb in person. cloud9.gif

-JamminJ

The luster on the coin is supurb in person. cloud9.gif

-JamminJ

Boy I guess - cuz it sure looks good in the pic 893applaud-thumb.gif

If I saw that coin - I'd probably have to buy it myself acclaim.gif

JJ that is a superb coin! One of these days I will also have to buy a nice piece as my wife is half-Japanese and I would like to give one to her.