• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleeper dates

6 posts in this topic

I had a nice chat with dealer Robert Riemer at the local PO today and the topic of "sleeper dates" came up. How realistic is this idea that there are certain undervalued dates/denominations?

In the $20 gold series, the Civil War dates in the right grades have certainly risen significantly. But dates without the requisite panache to draw new collectors/investors in lower populations have not risen so much. Is the concept of "sleeper dates" realistic or over-used?

Is his office in the PO now? Must be a tight fit, although I guess the metal door provides a lot of protection.

Nope -- just popularity cycles and promotions. "Hey, Joe! I got too much inventory, let's give it a cute name and tell schmos how rare it is." "Yeah, Larry, good idea. John Ford called 'em 'boobs' for good reason."

Interesting site: http://www.rsrcoins.com/

Actually unless you are in the top 10% of coin dealers you have to be a cortortionist; rent in a po box or ups store or storage unit is cheaper than rents in most towns. And when you die you get shipped off to the final grading and attribution with conservation inbetween if necessary; and people at the memorial service are impressed by the giant see through plastic tomb. Then the real sleeping begins.

While I don't collect gold, I can attest that there are certainly some coins in better grades that will command much higher prices than their brothers and sisters.

I once bought a BU 1915 Penny (BN) for $3 at an auction. It (and apparently the audience) were just snoring away. Once such a coin is reviewed and put into a display case for sale, the chances of such a bargain become far more remote however.

While I don't collect gold, I can attest that there are certainly some coins in better grades that will command much higher prices than their brothers and sisters.

I once bought a BU 1915 Penny (BN) for $3 at an auction. It (and apparently the audience) were just snoring away. Once such a coin is reviewed and put into a display case for sale, the chances of such a bargain become far more remote however.

nice catch on that 1915:)

I believe there is a good reason why most of the coins perceived as "sleepers" remain dormant for the most part. If my estimate of 7500 US issues is about right, it's unrealistic to expect every single (supposedly) rare or scarce issue to sell for more or a lot more than they do today. A disproportionate number of US coins are already out of reach of most collector budgets at current prices.