• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANA Newp arrived today

14 posts in this topic

45? Looks 50 to me and probably 53 with the CC mint mark.

And this is what I mean by wide range of quality being available at this grade. There were two 92-CC PCGS XF45 dollars in this auction back to back (lots 8264 and 8265), and the difference between the two coins in hand was arguably wider than the difference between the high end and low end for other grades. Yes, I paid more for this one because of that, but with as much fine detail as has been integrated into our grading system, that there can be a chasm between high and low end XF45s so wide you can drive a truck through it (when compared to MS grade hair splitting) seems odd. OK, perhaps I could get AU50 on this with a little luck, or maybe the other lot would get XF40 on a few submissions, but that's not really the point. The point would seem to be that XF45 is a particularly dangerous grade to buy without inspection, and a rather rewarding one to cherrypick for quality. I've been half-heartedly looking for a particular $20 Lib that's not super rare, and XF45 specimens again show a huge range of quality.

45? Looks 50 to me and probably 53 with the CC mint mark.

And this is what I mean by wide range of quality being available at this grade. There were two 92-CC PCGS XF45 dollars in this auction back to back (lots 8264 and 8265), and the difference between the two coins in hand was arguably wider than the difference between the high end and low end for other grades. Yes, I paid more for this one because of that, but with as much fine detail as has been integrated into our grading system, that there can be a chasm between high and low end XF45s so wide you can drive a truck through it (when compared to MS grade hair splitting) seems odd. OK, perhaps I could get AU50 on this with a little luck, or maybe the other lot would get XF40 on a few submissions, but that's not really the point. The point would seem to be that XF45 is a particularly dangerous grade to buy without inspection, and a rather rewarding one to cherrypick for quality. I've been half-heartedly looking for a particular $20 Lib that's not super rare, and XF45 specimens again show a huge range of quality.

Let me give you my rationale, John, and just say, if it's fouled up, it's probably as good as any. It's 45-50 because it's not 40 and there are some 50s that are technically stronger. Can't categorically keep it out of 50. If one must, though, it's not 40, and that leaves 45.

Let me give you my rationale, John, and just say, if it's fouled up, it's probably as good as any. It's 45-50 because it's not 40 and there are some 50s that are technically stronger. Can't categorically keep it out of 50. If one must, though, it's not 40, and that leaves 45.

Your rationale is fine, and I've deduced grades on coins before as well. What seems odd is that for this grade, which is supposed to look like AU but not quite make it, there is a huge variance in quality as compared to other grades between VF30 and AU55. To wit, if I were to mark regions on a wear continuum that represented each grade, XF45 would get a pretty wide one. The two lots I mentioned earlier show this quite well, but so do many others. I'm sure if the market demanded it, we'd start seeing grades like XF48. Actually, now that I think of it, we have plus grades on XF40 and XF45, so we essentially already have XF43 and XF48 (and AU52, 54, 57, and 59 for that matter), but they're just not called that. Anyway, I like the coin.

Your rationale is fine, and I've deduced grades on coins before as well. What seems odd is that for this grade, which is supposed to look like AU but not quite make it, there is a huge variance in quality as compared to other grades between VF30 and AU55. To wit, if I were to mark regions on a wear continuum that represented each grade, XF45 would get a pretty wide one. The two lots I mentioned earlier show this quite well, but so do many others. I'm sure if the market demanded it, we'd start seeing grades like XF48. Actually, now that I think of it, we have plus grades on XF40 and XF45, so we essentially already have XF43 and XF48 (and AU52, 54, 57, and 59 for that matter), but they're just not called that. Anyway, I like the coin.

Absolutely. I think EF45, in this case, especially, is pretty much meaningless. I think you state a good case for that. It's ill-defined.