• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

05-2010 Satins

10 posts in this topic

I recently acquired the 07-D SP69 (NGC POP 4) and 08-D SP69 Satin (NGC POP 30) Lincolns at what I would consider a substantial price. I grabbed them up because I simply never see them for sale. They are also top population for both coins.

I have also been looking for the 2010 P and D. NGC says the populations for these are 4 and 23 for SP69 grade coins, again, top population.

I have no access to PCGS census numbers.

Does anyone have access to the PCGS population for these 4 coins?

I just read through a thread on Key and Semi-Key coins. Although the total mintage on the 2010 Satin Sets are 583,912 or 583,897 depending on the source, I would say that based on grade populations they qualify as, rare and Key coins?

I would like any opinions on this;

Do top population coins and rarity make a key?

Thankyouverymuch!

first welcome to the boards (thumbs u

i will leave you with this very real and correct answer the best you will ever receive in coins

first

when i finally decide to buy a coin in an ngc holder OR any third party holder

i ask myself.....................................

would i pay the same price for the coin if it was raw (unslabbed) ?

if the answer is yes i buy the coin

and if the answer is no or i am unsure i dont buy the coin

second

now ask yourself the above question and i think you will find the correct answers you are seeking

good luck in your collecting journey

"Do top population coins and rarity make a key?"

Nope. (Just an opinion - register zombies, don't get upset.)

There are thousands upon thousands of the Satin coins in original mint sets in collections. Most of these are superb quality, with a certainty of several hundred or thousands that could be in MS69 Satin Finish holders. When the market is saturated for the registry players, the submissions stop for graded examples.

These coins are not rare, scarce, or key in any grade. I personally find them to be beautifully made and of high quality, but I don't suspect within my lifetime they will ever be collected by enough people to make the demand surpass the supply.

These coins are not rare, scarce, or key in any grade. I personally find them to be beautifully made and of high quality, but I don't suspect within my lifetime they will ever be collected by enough people to make the demand surpass the supply.

That IS the problem with collecting modern coins. It's a good thing that I love look and novelty (they were only made for 5 years). I'm not about to get rid of them any time soon. As I see it right now, and I allow myself any and all opportunities to change my mind, it's the journey, not the destination.

That was a little cheesy.

That IS the problem with collecting modern coins. It's a good thing that I love look and novelty (they were only made for 5 years). I'm not about to get rid of them any time soon. As I see it right now, and I allow myself any and all opportunities to change my mind, it's the journey, not the destination.

They were made for 6 years, not 5 (05, 06, 07, 08, 09, and 10). And, I agree with you -- they are stunning pieces of work, but they are very common.

They were made for 6 years, not 5 (05, 06, 07, 08, 09, and 10). And, I agree with you -- they are stunning pieces of work, but they are very common.

What surprises me is the lack of 70's for 2005. Being the first year, I bought 15 sets from the Mint. Having removed them from the cello, I examined each and every coin for high grades (eyeball - first examination, loupe - second examination, and finally the stereomicroscope for nitpicking). I found so many that were absolutely perfect, I figured it would be a waste of time submitting them. (I assumed this quality would be normal for others.)

I still have them today, but do you think the TPG's would grade all of them 70's? I doubt it!

Chris